These simple lemon cupcakes start with a white cake mix
and have fresh lemon juice and Greek yogurt mixed
to keep them moist and tart. Top them off with a sinfully delicious
white chocolate buttercream frosting!
I have a little secret to share. Today is my birthday. I usually don’t go around advertising that fact, especially since I’m now officially in my 40’s. Turning 41 is not as exciting as turning 25, you know what I mean?
As a kid, I loved having a 4th of July birthday. For several years, I truly believed all the fireworks were for me. Then I became less self-absorbed and realized what the holiday was really about. The other perfect thing about a summer birthday is you are home all day to enjoy it and not stuck at school! No homework to finish right after cake and presents! The downside to having a summer birthday and more specifically a 4th of July birthday is my friends were often out-of-town for the holiday. My parties were generally small and short. But they were always sweet.
My mom always bought a cake from a local bakery. I was so easy to please. I always asked for a white cake with white frosting. But the top of the cake had to be covered in frosting roses. The bigger the rose, the better. I was a normal kid when it came to eating my cake. I ate all the frosting and left the cake.
I can honestly say, I cannot remember my last bakery cake. There is absolutely nothing wrong with bakery cakes. I simply find I prefer the taste of homemade baked goods. Since my expanding waistline keeps me from whipping up buttercream just to snack on, I look for any possible occasion to make cupcakes! My birthday is the perfect occasion.
Since white cake is still my favorite, these tart little sweeties begin with a white cake mix, which I brighten with lemon pudding mix, lemon juice and lemon zest. Greek yogurt keeps them tender, moist and tangy. I love the full on citrus flavor of these cupcakes. Lemon is the perfect base for the lusciously sweet buttercream flavored with smooth white chocolate. I do believe I made myself some pretty fantastic cupcakes!
Here I am a whole year older and whole year wiser. I think I’ve reached an age where I can eat as many cupcakes as I want. After 41 years, I’ve earned it!
MORE LEMON LOVE:
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE TO MY EMAIL TODAY!
- 1 box white cake mix, 18.25 oz. I used Duncan Hines
- 2 box lemon pudding 3.5 oz ea
- 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt, I used Chobani
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- zest from 2 lemons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 7 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 10 oz white chocolate melted and cooled
- 1/3 cup water
- For the cupcakes, preheat oven to 350. Line cupcake pans with liners and set aside. In a bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mixes, eggs, oil, yogurt, lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla. Beat on medium until batter combines and becomes thick and smooth. Using a large cookie scoop, fill each cupcake liner 2/3 full. Bake for 18 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
- For the buttercream, melt chocolate in microwave, stirring until smooth. Set aside and allow to cool. Meanwhile, beat together butter and shortening until creamy. Carefully add in powdered sugar one cup at a time. Stir in salt and vanilla until incorporated. Mix in water as needed to keep a spreadable consistency. Finally, beat in white chocolate until completely blended.
- When cupcakes have cooled, spread or pipe on frosting.
Nutrition InformationYield 30 Serving Size 1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving Calories 412Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 14gCholesterol 23mgSodium 205mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 0gSugar 38gProtein 3g