What is Brisket?
- Beef brisket
- Red pepper
- Balsamic vinegar
- Brown sugar
- Minced garlic
- Worcestershire sauce
How to Make Crockpot Beef Brisket in Balsamic Blackberry Sauce
- In a small bowl, combine the paprika, cumin, red pepper, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper until blended.
- Rub your dry spices all over the brisket.
- Place your brisket into the crockpot.
- In another bowl combine the sauce ingredients.
- Pour the blackberry sauce over the brisket.
- Cook on high for 1 hour and then reduce the temp to low and cook for another 6-7 hours or until the brisket is fork tender.
- Fork tender means to cook until the food item is soft enough that you can easily pierce it with a fork. For example, a baked potato is ready when you can easily insert the fork prongs without resistance. that’s what you’re looking for to determine if your brisket is ready. If you can easily price it with your fork or cut the meat using the side of the fork, it’s soft enough to serve.
If you love this sauce enough that you’d like to try it with different cuts of meat some popular ideas include chicken, pork, and lamb. This sauce would go nicely with different cuts of chicken, pork chops, pork tenderloin, or even lamb chops.
The brisket will get softer as you cook it. It’s one of those meats that starts tough but eventually cooks to the point where you can shred it with two forks. If after a few hours your brisket is still tough, there’s a good chance that it is because you haven’t finished cooking it. Let it cook longer or increase the temperature for the final few hours.
Can you overcook brisket in slow cooker?
Yes, like any meat you can overcook it if the mat is left unattended or cooking for too long. while you can cook brisket to the point of being able to shred it with forks, you may not wish to cook it that long. Once the meat is soft enough to shred it doesn’t take long for it to cook beyond that point and become an unappetizing-looking pile of mush.
Should brisket be submerged in slow cooker?
You do not need to have the meat fully submerged and covered in sauce but there should be a good amount of sauce to meat ratio. In this recipe, we use a 3-3.5 pound brisket which works perfectly for the amount of sauce we have. If you use a larger cut of brisket, please increase the sauce ratio accordingly.
Do you cook brisket fat side up or down in a slow cooker?
Brisket should be placed into the crockpot with the fat side up. this way as the meat cooks, the fat will melt and drip down over the meat to help tenderize it and add juicy goodness so it doesn’t feel dried out.
Crockpot Beef Brisket in Balsamic Blackberry Sauce