This stove top Pastitsio is a simple and light version of the very traditional Greek pasta dish.
All the flavors of my traditional Pastitsio in a fraction of the time and with minimal effort!
This stovetop pastitsio recipe is a savory meal that the whole family will enjoy. Making my own quick, easy, and lighter version of the more traditional Greek recipe, the end results are just as fabulous. The meat sauce comes together quickly while the pasta is boiling. The egg-laden white sauce is omitted and replaced with a bit of heavy cream and plain Greek yogurt.
This fast meal is going to become your next go-to favorite. Made in a fraction of the time it tastes pretty close to an authentic Greek pastitsio recipe but without all of the added time and work. Go ahead and try it soon by serving a nice side dish of homemade Greek Salad or serve it up with some tasty freshly cooked Greek Green Beans. Adding in a little green with veggies will make your plates feel more complete.
What is Pastitsio?
This easy pastitsio recipe is a delicious Greek recipe that is assembled similarly to a lasagna in that it has meat, sauce, and noodle layers, but the differences are also quite vast. the cinnamon-infused meat is close to a Cincinnati chili in taste, there’s a white bechamel sauce and the overall taste is heavenly. Traditionally this meal takes hours of prep and is a very heavy meal. Our version, however, is much lighter, faster, and perfect for a quick stovetop meal so you don’t have to be on your feet for hours.
- Lean ground sirloin
- Diced onion
- Minced garlic
- Tomato paste
- ground nutmeg
- McCormick Greek seasoning
- Heavy cream
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Penne pasta
- Grated Parmesan cheese
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Stove Top Pastitsio
- Prepare your pasta according to the package instructions.
- In a large skillet, brown your ground beef.
- Add in the onions and garlic and cook for an additional 2 minutes or until the meat is no longer pink.
- Stir in the tomato paste, salt, pepper, nutmeg, and greek seasoning.
- Add in the heavy cream and Greek yogurt, stirring until well mixed.
- reduce the heat and cook until the sauce is thick. this should be about one minute.
- drain your pasta and reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
- Combine the pasta, reserved water, and ground beef mixture.
- Add in some parmesan cheese just before serving.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
- I use Chobani Greek Yogurt for the sauce but any plain unflavored and unsweetened Greek yogurt will do. Even sour cream can be used if you don’t have Greek yogurt on hand.
- Greek seasoning should be available in your local grocery store. McCormick makes a great blend, but if you cant find any Greek seasoning, you can simply use Italian seasoning instead. The recipe will not taste exactly the same but Italian Seasoning will still give you some great taste.
- Leftovers can be kept stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat before serving.
What to serve with Pastitsio
Some great side dishes to include serving alongside your pastitsio is some bread and salad. Choose a nice Greek bread like challah and maybe a simple greek salad made with mixed greens. These will really help to make the dish feel more filling and well-rounded.
Can I freeze leftover pastitsio?
Absolutely! You can store your leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 months. Then thaw for a few hours on the counter or overnight in the fridge before reheating and serving warm.
How to reheat pastitsio
If reheating a single portion or two, use the microwave as that will be the fastest method. Simply place a portion on a plate and microwave for 1-3 minutes, stirring halfway to help distribute the heat. For a larger portion, place the pasta in a baking dish in the oven at 350 degrees f until heated through. This could take up to 30 minutes but check after about 15 minutes.
- 1 pound lean ground sirloin
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon McCormick Greek seasoning
- Salt, pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt such as Chobani
- 1 lb penne pasta
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package direction.
- Heat ground beef in a large skillet until browned. Add onions and garlic and cook another 2 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Stir in tomato paste, salt, pepper, nutmeg and Greek seasoning. Add heavy cream and Greek yogurt stirring until well blended. Reduce heat and cook until thick, about 1 minute.
- Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of cooking liquid. Combine pasta, water and ground beef mixture. Add Parmesan cheese just before serving. Serve immediately
Amount Per Serving Calories 316Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 70mgSodium 387mgCarbohydrates 24gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 24g