Grilled Steak Tacos that have both an Asian and Southwest flavor profile. Each taco has a simple black bean spread and a homemade slaw. The combination of flavors is addictive!
I am a blogging homebody. For the most part, I am content hiding behind my camera and computer screen toiling away on my blog. Most of my interactions with readers and other bloggers are virtual. Most days this is totally fine. But sometimes it feels lonely. So when I was invited to a blogger meet up in Colorado, I jumped online to book my airline ticket!
Earlier this month, I had the immense pleasure of meeting up with a few bloggers. The retreat was organized by Erin from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts and Sandra from A Dash of Sanity and generously sponsored by Gourmet Garden.
This was such a fun experience! Not only did I get to try some delicious local food and sample plenty of local beer, but I was in the presences of so much knowledge and experience. I have such a respect and admiration for all the bloggers present; I felt extremely fortunate to be in the midst of these talented women.
Grilled Steak for Tacos
When I got home, I was so inspired by my time in Colorado that I decided to try my hand a new fusion style meal. I’ve made Asian Pulled Pork Sandwiches before and I’ve certainly grilled steak, I figured I could combine the two in the form of a fun to eat taco! These tacos start with a super simple homemade refried black bean recipe that holds just a hint of ginger. I topped them off with grilled steak that had been rubbed with a smoky blend of spices. A honey and lime slaw adds a crisp coolness to each taco.
Fusion recipes can be so fun, take these Bahn Mi Taquitos. They marry together east and west flavors. These tacos fuse together a little taste of Asia and a bold taste of the southwest. These tacos are a great change up from the norm which I can say is the same for my time away in Colorado. It was nice to get away; to meet new people and to learn new things! Cannot wait to do it again!
Fusion Grilled Steak Tacos
- 1 1/2 lb flank steak
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 14oz can black beans, rinsed and drained.
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon Gourmet Garden Ginger
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups red cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoons green onions
- 2 tablespoons cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- juice from one lime
- 4 flour tortillas
- Spray the grates of an outdoor grill with cooking spray. Heat grill to medium-low heat.
- Combine the cumin, paprika, ground ginger, salt and chipotle powder in a small bowl. Rub spice mixture over steak. Grill steak 4-5 minutes per side. Remove from heat and let stand.
- For the black beans, combine the beans, garlic, water, ginger and salt in a food process. Process util beans are smooth, adding more water if necessary.
- For the slaw, combine all the ingredients in a bowl; toss to coat.
- Slice the steak across the grain. Divide the bean mixture between the 4 tortillas. Top with steak and slaw.