Rotisserie chicken makes quick work out of this Cornbread Taco Bake!
The rest of the ingredients are probably right in your pantry!
If you’re looking for a quick and simple dinner recipe to try tonight that’s as easy as it is frugal then look no further. This cornbread taco bake is perfect for using up leftover rotisserie chicken (or any shredded chicken that you have on hand) making it ideal for using leftovers and cutting out food waste. With this taco cornbread casserole, you know dinner is going to be good!
What is an easy taco cornbread taco bake?
This Jiffy taco bake is filled with everything that we love and enjoy. It has mild black beans, corn, tomato sauce, taco seasoning, and, of course, chicken. The filling is covered in a simple cornbread topping then baked. This Jiffy cornbread taco casserole is very quick and easy to prepare from the boxed Jiffy corn muffin mix on top to the simple taco flavored chicken filling underneath. Serve it up for dinner and watch how fast it disappears!
- Olive oil
- Bell pepper
- Rotisserie chicken
- Taco seasoning
- Canned sweet corn
- Canned black beans
- Tomato sauce
- Corn muffin mix (prepared per box directions)
- French fried onions
- Cheddar cheese
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Cornbread Taco Bake
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Spray the inside of a 2-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and then set it aside.
- Heat your oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in the bell pepper and saute together for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the chicken, water, taco seasoning, corn, beans, and tomato sauce.
- Cook together in the pan for about 5 minutes while stirring frequently.
- Remove the pan from the heat and set it aside.
- Prepare the corn muffin mix according to the package directions.
- Stir half of the french fried onions into the cornbread batter.
- Pour the chicken mixture into your prepared baking dish and then spread the cornbread batter over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown.
- Top the casserole with the remaining onions and cheddar cheese.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove the casserole from the oven and let it rest for a few minutes before serving.
What are some toppings for taco cornbread bake?
You can top this casserole with just about anything ranging from shredded lettuce to chopped tomatoes, sour cream, and avocado slices. Some freshly sliced jalapenos can also be added for a nice kick of heat and flavor.
How long is taco casserole good for?
This casserole can be kept stored in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days. This should give you plenty of time to enjoy any leftovers that you may have on hand.
Can I freeze cornbread casserole?
Yes, this casserole can be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight container, making it easy for future meals. Simply make it as directed and then allow the dish to cool completely. Store it as a whole piece or in portioned pieces and allow it to thaw overnight in the fridge before reheating.
Here are some more great casserole recipes that you are sure to love!
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- Farmers Breakfast Egg Casserole
- Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Mexican Chicken Casserole
- Taco Casserole Recipe
Cornbread Taco Bake
Rotisserie chicken makes this taco bake recipe easy, quick and delicious!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 bell pepper diced (the recipe calls for green, I used a red pepper in this recipe)
- 2 cups diced rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 15 1/4 oz can sweet corn, drained
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 8oz package corn muffin mix, plus the ingredients to prepare it
- 4 oz French fried onions, divided
- 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 2-quart baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat, add bell pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, water, taco seasoning, corn, beans, and tomato sauce to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions; stir in half of the French fried onions into the batter.
- Pour the chicken mixture into your prepared pan. Spread the cornbread mix over the top of the chicken mixture. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown.
- Top the casserole with the remaining onions and the cheddar cheese. Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese has melted. Remove the casserole from the oven and let stand for a few minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 570Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 101mgSodium 1167mgCarbohydrates 58gFiber 9gSugar 13gProtein 36g
heather @french press says
YUM!! I want to make one of everything in her book (yours too by the way) have a wonderful Thanksgiving
Heather Jacobs says
This looks so good I really cant wait to try making it for my family!
That looks yummy, and easy to make – my favorite! Thank you for sharing with us at the #HomeMattersParty
Quinn Caudill says
This looks yummy. I have a recipe that uses ground turkey on my blog. Your pics are awesome. Mine not so good for cornbread casserole. Thanks for sharing with us at Throwback Thursday. Hope to see you again this week.
I think this is going to be on my to-make list! Thanks for linking up to the Tasty Tuesday linky party last week. I have pinned your recipe to the Creative K Kids Tasty Tuesday Pinterest board. I hope that you’ll join us again this week!