Rotisserie chicken makes quick work out of this Cornbread Taco Bake! The rest of the ingredients are probably right in your pantry!
I’m pretty excited to share this recipe today. My friend Trish from Mom on Timeout has just released a cookbook. 100 Creative Ways to Use Rotisserie Chicken is stunning! In this book, Trish covers everything from 5 ingredient dinners to casseroles, sandwiches, soups, and salads. Who knew you could do so much with rotisserie chicken?
Our family regularly enjoys rotisserie chicken, it’s quick, easy and tastes pretty darn good. One thing I love about it is it makes for great leftovers. I use leftovers in chicken salad, nachos, and soup. But now that I have Trish’s cookbook, I don’t think I’ll even have to worry about leftovers!
I had a hard time deciding what to make out of this book. I was torn between the Ravioli Skillet Lasagna, the Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore or the Cornbread Taco Bake. I finally settled on the taco bake because I knew it would be well received by the family. And I was right, it was! This casserole is filled with things kids love. It has mild black beans, corn, tomato sauce, taco seasoning and, of course, chicken. The filling is covered in a simple cornbread topping then baked.
Like all of the recipes in this cookbook, this taco bake is quick and easy to prepare, which fits perfectly into our way too busy lifestyle. This book is filled with recipes that are both family friendly and user-friendly. Any cook from the novice to the expert would love this cookbook. And with Christmas just around the corner….. If you love delicious, easy to prepare food then friends, this book is for you!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 bell pepper diced (the recipe calls for green, I used a red pepper in this recipe)
- 2 cups diced rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- 1 15 1/4 oz can sweet corn, drained
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1 8oz package corn muffin mix, plus the ingredients to prepare it
- 4 oz French fried onions, divided
- 4 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray a 2-quart baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Heat oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat, add bell pepper and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, water, taco seasoning, corn, beans, and tomato sauce to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to package directions; stir in half of the French fried onions into the batter.
- Pour the chicken mixture into your prepared pan. Spread the cornbread mix over the top of the chicken mixture. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cornbread is golden brown.
- Top the casserole with the remaining onions and the cheddar cheese. Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until cheese has melted. Remove the casserole from the oven and let stand for a few minutes before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 570Total Fat 23gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 101mgSodium 1167mgCarbohydrates 58gFiber 9gSugar 13gProtein 36g
And for the sandwich lover on your Christmas list, how about my little cookbook, Sandwiched; Grill Em, Toast Em, Stuff Em, Eat Em.