This Mexican cornbread is packed with flavor in every fluffy moist square. Serve it up as a side dish for any meal and you’re sure to have an instant hit on your hands.
If you love cornbread then you’re in for a real treat with this Mexican cornbread recipe. It’s super simple and easy to prepare making it perfect for a fast addition to the dinner table or a nice side dish to serve at a party. This cornbread never lasts long around here and I’m sure you can see why. Made with the perfect balance of sweet and spice, every slice is worth savoring.
Easy Mexican Cornbread
Made with boxed cornbread as an easy base this cornbread recipe is as simple as it gets. Just use your favorite boxed mix and throw in a few added ingredients to get an entirely new flavor out of it, sounds easy enough, right? This southern Mexican cornbread is semi-homemade but completely delicious.
Ingredients you’ll need for Mexican Cornbread:
- Cornbread Mix
- Black Pepper
- Baking Powder
- Melted butter
- Diced Jalapeños
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Mexican Cornbread
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F and prepare an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a mixing bowl whisk together the cornbread mix, butter, sugar, black pepper, cream, and eggs.
Stir in the cheese and jalapenos.
Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Top the cornbread with more cheese.
Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean.
Let the cornbread cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
- Cutting jalapenos: When cutting jalapenos remember to wear gloves because the juices can really make your hands burn and sting for a few hours. You should also remember to pull your hair back if it’s long and remember to not touch your face (especially your eyes). The fewer reasons you have to touch anything that isn’t the jalapenos and knife, the better because you don’t want to feel the irritating sting of the jalapeno juices for the rest of the day.
- Spiciness. You can adjust the amount of spice in this cornbread by simply adding in or omitting the jalapeno seeds. The seeds and membrane of jalapenos are where most of the spice is. If you want spicy cornbread, make sure to add those parts into the batter. If you want the jalapeno flavor but without the added heat, remove the seeds and membranes and discard them.
Can I make Mexican cornbread muffins?
Yes, you can make this batter into muffins if you wanted to. Simple bake at the same temperature but for 14-16 minutes. Fill your muffin cups about ¾ of the way full and you should have about 12 muffins. You could also do about 24 mini muffins and those would cook for about 11-13 minutes.
What goes well with Mexican cornbread?
This cornbread goes well with just about anything from taco night favorites like enchiladas, carnitas, taquitos, and more. It can just as easily be served up with an oven-roasted chicken or pork loin roast as well. With so many possibilities and options, you’ll always have a good reason to serve it up.
Should Mexican cornbread be refrigerated?
Yes, any leftovers of this cornbread should be kept well covered or stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a few days. It can last about 3-4 days and still taste great but any longer than that and the cold from the fridge may make the cornbread dry out. You can always pop a few pieces of cornbread in the microwave for a minute to help warm them up before serving if you prefer to eat your warm.
If you love cornbread then you’re going to love my Easy Cornbread Stuffing Recipe or myCornbread Taco Bake! But Don’t forget to serve up your warm cornbread with some chili like this Homemade Chili with Beef & Bulgur or Mom’s Crockpot Chili.
- 15 Oz Cornbread Mix
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- ⅔ Cup Cream
- ½ Cup Butter (melted)
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Cup Cheese
- 2 jalapeños (diced)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F
- Prepare an 8-inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Whisk together cornbread mix, butter, sugar, black pepper, cream and eggs.
- Stir in cheese and jalapeños
- Pour mixture into pan
- Top sprinkle more cheese
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for a few minutes
- Serve and ENJOY!