This Mexican chicken casserole is an easy dinner dish that the whole family will enjoy. Layered with tortilla chips, black beans, cheese and more this is a comfort dish unlike any other.
This Mexican chicken bake is comfort food in its purest form and is sure to become an instant family favorite. Add it to your dinner rotations and see how fast it disappears every time.
With just a little prep and less than 30 minutes in the oven, you get yourself a tasty casserole that is sure to hit the spot. Mexican chicken casserole recipes are always fun, simple, and flavorful
What is Mexican casserole?
It’s a simple ingredient casserole that is packed with some Mexican-inspired flavors thanks to the Rotel, cheeses, and tortilla chips. Made to be creamy, crunchy, salty, and cheesy, every bite is pure bliss. This dinner is super easy to make and perfect for busy families.
Ingredients you’ll need for Mexican casserole:
- Crushed Tortilla chips
- Black Beans
- Chicken Breast
- Ground Cumin
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Rotel Tomatoes
- Shredded Jack Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Diced Tomato
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Mexican Chicken Casserole
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
Chop your chicken into 1-inch cube-sized pieces and cook them until finished.
In a baking dish, lay an even layer of crushed tortilla chips to cover the bottom of the pan.
Add the chicken to the top of the chip layer.
Add the black beans over the top.
Add your cumin seasoning.
Spread the cream of chicken coup over the top of the chicken and beans layer.
Spread the can of Rotel over the top.
Sprinkle on your cheeses.
Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
Garnish the top with some freshly chopped tomatoes and jalapeno slices.
Serve warm and enjoy!
Mexican Chicken Casserole Recipe Tips
- For some fun variations try adding in Doritos chips instead of plain tortilla chips. You can choose the nacho cheese flavor or the ranch ones, or any of their other flavor varieties that you already know and love.
- Adding in some frozen or drained can corn is nice for giving this dish a subtle crunch and taste of freshness.
- If desired you can swap out the chicken breast for about a cup of leftover cooked taco meat and save yourself some time while using p leftovers and getting more flavor into your dinner.
Mexican Chicken Casserole: FAQs
Can I make this casserole in advance?
Yes, this casserole can be made in advance, simply assemble as directed and top the pan off with some plastic wrap before placing the pan into the fridge for up to a few hours. When ready to bake, simply remove the plastic wrap and place the dish into the oven until hot and bubbly.
Can I freeze Mexican casserole?
Yes, you can freeze this casserole before or after it’s been baked. Just make sure to cover the pan well or to place it in an airtight oven-safe container. The night before you plan to bake, place the casserole into the fridge to thaw so that it’s ready to bake at dinner time.
How long are the casserole leftovers good for?
The leftovers from this casserole can be kept well covered and stored in the fridge for about 3-5 days. Reheat again before eating.
- 3 Cups Tortilla chips (crushed)
- 1 Cup Black Beans (cooked)
- 1 large Chicken Breast
- 1 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 Can Rotel Tomatoes
- 2 Cups Jack Cheese (shredded)
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- 1 Tomato (diced)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut the chicken breast into 1 inch squares and cook them.
- Into a baking dish, sprinkle crushed tortilla chips until the bottom is fully covered.
- Layer the chicken and black beans over the crushed chips.
- Add cumin.
- Spread the soup mixture over the chicken and beans.
- Add canned tomatoes over the soup layer.
- Sprinkle cheeses evenly over the tomato layer and top with remaining crushed chips.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Garnish the casserole with chopped tomatoes and jalapeño slices.
- Serve and ENJOY!