This Mexican mac and cheese is filled with chicken and veggies.
Each bite will fill your mouth with a lusciously creamy and cheesy sauce!
My husband and I don’t get out to eat alone very often because it’s just easier that way as opposed to trying to round-up a babysitter. And being a stay at home mom, I don’t get to try a lot of different restaurants for lunch. There is one Mexican restaurant in downtown Cincinnati, that has come up regularly as a place we need to visit. When people talk about this restaurant, they mention two things, the margaritas and the Mexican mac and cheese. I’m a big fan of both margaritas and cheesy pasta dishes, so I knew I had to check this place out.
Since my kids were out-of-town this week, my husband and I felt it the opportune time to visit this restaurant. I’m so glad we did! It met all my expectations! I love spicy food, and I was not disappointed! The best part has we had an exceptionally friendly and talkative waiter who divulged the ingredients to everything I consumed. It was fantastic! Now, I must admit, I did have a few too many blueberry vodka lemonades, so I was a bit worried that some ingredients would be lost by the time I went to make up my Mexican mac and cheese. I asked my husband for a pen so I could write it all on my arm, but he refused to hand one over.
Somehow, I was able to recreate the infamous Mexican mac and cheese the next day. The creaminess comes from none other than cream cheese and three kinds of shredded cheese (Cabot White Cheddar works very well). I threw in corn for color and I also added rotisserie chicken to make it more of a meal than a side dish. You could leave out both. This is an amazingly creamy and flavorful mac and cheese. This is the perfect accompaniment for margaritas! If you love Mexican food and you love mac and cheese, I strongly urge you try this…..now! Go!! Then try my Cajun Shrimp Mac and Cheese and This Buttermilk Ranch Mac and Cheese!
- 1lb shell shaped pasta
- Rotiserie Chicken, shredded
- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 8 oz white cheddar, grated ( I used Cabot White Cheddar)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced pickled jalapenos
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Salt, pepper
- In a large saucepan, simmer milk until warm but not boiling. In a separate sauce pan, melt 6 tablespoons of butter on medium low heat. Whisk in flour for 1 minute. Slowly add warm milk constantly stirring. Whisk until milk starts to bubble and thicken.
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package directions.
- When milk is thick remove from heat and whisk in cheeses, stirring constantly until all the cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper. When pasta is ready, drain and to pan, toss with chicken, jalapenos and corn. Add cheese sauce stirring to combine.
- Pour onto a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Toss with bread crumbs. Pour bread crumbs over pasta and bake in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 724 Total Fat 45g Saturated Fat 26g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 15g Cholesterol 135mg Sodium 922mg Carbohydrates 51g Fiber 3g Sugar 4g Protein 29g