This Mexican mac and cheese is filled with chicken and veggies.
Each bite will fill your mouth with a lusciously creamy and cheesy sauce!
This creamy macaroni and cheese recipe is a perfect recipe for any occasion. made with three kinds of cheese, plus cream cheese, the dish ends up incredibly creamy and good! A perfect comfort dish to enjoy any night of the week. This mac and cheese recipe is very easy to throw together and make. Start on the stove and finish in the oven with a golden layer of breadcrumbs on top and you know it’s going to be a wonderful dinner that the whole family can agree on!
What is Mexican Mac and Cheese?
I named this Mexican mac and cheese because it features some great ingredients often seen in Mexican cooking like shredded chicken, corn, and jalapenos. These added ingredients really help to make this mac and cheese feel upgraded and special while adding their own colors and flavors to every bite. While you could leave these things out, I recommend leaving them in and trying it as-is. This is an amazingly creamy and flavorful mac and cheese. This is the perfect accompaniment for margaritas!
- Shell-shaped pasta
- Rotisserie Chicken
- All-purpose flour
- Bread crumbs
- White cheddar
- Shredded mozzarella
- Cream cheese
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Sliced pickled jalapenos
- Garlic cloves
- Frozen corn
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Mexican Mac and Cheese
- Simmer the milk in a large saucepan until warm but not boiling.
- In another saucepan melt 6 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat.
- Whisk in the flour and then cook for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in the warm milk, stirring constantly.
- Continue to whisk together until the milk begins to bubble and thicken.
- Meanwhile, prepare the pasta according to the package instructions.
- When the milk has thickened, remove the pot from the heat and whisk in the cheeses while stirring constantly until melted.
- Season your cheese sauce with salt and pepper.
- When the pasta is ready, drain and add it to the pan.
- Toss in the chicken, jalapenos, and corn.
- Add in the cheese sauce while stirring to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a bowl and add in the bread crumbs. Stir well to coat them all.
- Pour the breadcrumb mixture over the top of the mac and cheese and then bake in the oven at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes until toasty.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
I used Cabot White Cheddar to make my sauce because I simply adore it. That said you can use any cheese that you are comfortable with using. Regular American white cheddar works just fine.
You will be adding in frozen corn but the warmth of the cheesy noodles and the time spent in the oven will cause the corn to thaw and cook up nicely without becoming overcooked. There is no need to thaw the corn beforehand. If needed you can replace the frozen corn with some canned whole kernel corn, just drain it well before use.
Can I make Mexican mac and cheese in advance?
Yes, you can prepare this mac and cheese and have it in a baking dish ready for the oven up to a few hours in advance. after adding the bread crumb topping, instead of placing the pan in the oven, cover the top with aluminum foil. then store in the fridge for a few hours before baking at dinner time (uncovered). If desired it can remain in the fridge this way for up to 2 days, but I recommend not waiting so long as the cheese sauce will be absorbed by the noodles and result in a dryer end result than intended.
What goes well with mac and cheese?
Mac and cheese be great on it’s own or it can be served up with some tasty veggies like broccoli or cauliflower. My Jamaican Jerk Roasted Cauliflower would be a wonderful addition to this meal and pair well with the nice kick of spice we have going on!
If you love Mexican flavored food and you love mac and cheese, I strongly urge you to try this…..now! Go!!
- 1lb shell shaped pasta
- Rotiserie Chicken, shredded
- 4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup flour
- 10 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 8 oz white cheddar, grated ( I used Cabot White Cheddar)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup sliced pickled jalapenos
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 cup frozen corn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan, simmer milk until warm but not boiling.
- In a separate sauce pan, melt 6 tablespoons of butter on medium low heat.
- Whisk in flour for 1 minute. Slowly add warm milk constantly stirring. Whisk until milk starts to bubble and thicken.
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to package directions.
- When milk is thick remove from heat and whisk in cheeses, stirring constantly until all the cheese has melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- When pasta is ready, drain and to pan, toss with chicken, jalapenos and corn.
- Add cheese sauce stirring to combine.
- Pour onto a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Toss with bread crumbs.
- Pour bread crumbs over pasta and bake in a 375 degree F oven for 30 minutes.
Amount Per Serving Calories 724Total Fat 45gSaturated Fat 26gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 135mgSodium 922mgCarbohydrates 51gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 29g