This homemade chili is hearty and thick! The perfect comfort food to keep you full and satisfied! Adding bulgur to this chili makes it extra filling and healthy!
I try new homemade chili recipes like some people try on new shoes! I love chili; it is one of my most favorite foods. I’ve made several chili recipes over the years. It would be impossible to pick my favorite; It would be like asking which one of my kids is my favorite. I love them all equally, just differently.
Homemade chili is real comfort food for me. It is filling, nourishing, and hearty; I am always happy after a bowl of chili and I love that there are infinite ways to make a really batch of chili!
How To Make Homemade Chili with Beef and Bulgur
STEP ONE – Fill a small saucepan with cold water. Add bulgur and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Let bulgur cook for 12 -15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
STEP TWO – In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
STEP THREE – Add the ground beef to the onions and cook until crumbled. Add garlic and green peppers.
STEP FOUR – Cook until beef is no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes, stir in seasoning.
STEP FIVE – Add beans and crushed tomatoes. Fill the can with water and add that as well. Stir in tomato paste.
STEP SIX – Let chili come to a slow boil. Add bulgur and cook chili for 30 minutes. Chili will thicken as it sits.
How Long Will This Homemade Chili Last In The Fridge?
Chili is one of those recipes that gets better with time. Chili will be good when stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Homemade chili freezes beautifully! Make sure you chili cools completely before placing it in an airtight container or a ziptop bag. Chili can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Is Homemade Chili Healthy?
Homemade recipe gives you (the cook) an advantage as you can control the quality of ingredients and the sodium. I think this chili is quite healthy.
Lean ground beef is a great source of protein, the tomatoes are filled with antioxidants and bulgur. Bulgur is a whole grain that if filled with vitamins, minerals and fiber. Together this complete meal adds a slew of benefits that helps you maintain a healthy lifestyle, plus it is so easy to make!
Chili Recipe Tips
- I love the “meatiness” that the bulgur lent this recipe, but you could use quinoa instead.
- Fire-roasted tomatoes would add a lot of flavor to this recipe in place of the crushed tomatoes.
- Black beans or kidney beans can be used in place of the pinto beans.
- I used green bell peppers, but you could use any pepper, including poblanos or jalapeno peppers.
- Serve a little homemade cornbread, crusty bread, or corn tortillas with your chili along with sour cream, avocados (or guacamole), chopped cilantro, and shredded cheese!
- 1 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup quick cooking bulgur wheat
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 lb lean ground beef ( I used Simple Truth)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 half green bell pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 14 oz can pinto beans, rinsed and drained.
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 28 oz can filled with water
- 1 4 oz can tomato paste
- Fill a small saucepan with cold water. Add bulgur and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Let bulgur cook for 12 -15 minutes or until water is absorbed.
- In a large stock pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and cook until the are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef and cook until crumbled. Add garlic and green peppers. Cook until beef is no longer pink, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add seasoning to the beef. Stir in beans and crushed tomatoes. Fill the can with water and add that as well. Stir in tomato paste.
- Let chili come to a slow boil. Add bulgur and cook chili for 30 minutes. Chili will thicken as it sits.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 329Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 67mgSodium 763mgCarbohydrates 31gFiber 9gSugar 10gProtein 29g