You’re going to love this double chocolate sweet potato bundt cake. A moist chocolate sweet potato cake with a chocolate glaze topping makes this dessert as rich as it is tasty.
This easy sweet potato cake recipe is an indulgent dessert worthy of any occasion. Serve it up to the family any night of the week or bring it out for fancy dinner parties, holidays, or other special occasions.
What Is Chocolate Sweet Potato Cake?
It’s a super simple and easy vegan cake recipe that’s both decadent and moist. A chocolate cake base featuring mashed sweet potatoes helps to give this cake its unique flavor. With a simple melted chocolate topping, this dessert is packed full of rich flavors you can’t help but swoon over!
- Sweet potato puree
- Almond milk
- Apple cider vinegar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Brown sugar
- Chocolate chips
- Cacao powder
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Vegan butter
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How To Make Double Chocolate Sweet Potato Bundt Cake
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and grease the inside of a bundt cake pan with vegan butter. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together the sweet potato puree with milk until combined.
Add in the brown sugar, cacao powder, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar. Stir together with whisk until blended.
In a small bowl melt ½ cup of the chocolate chips in the microwave for 60 seconds and then stir it into the sweet potato batter until well mixed.
In another mixing bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
Add your dry ingredients to the bowl of wet ones and then stir to combine.
Pour your batter into the prepared baking pan, shake the pan over the counter to remove air bubbles from the cake and then level the top with a small rubber spatula.
Bake the cake in the oven for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean or with just a few moist crumbs.
Let the cake cool for 15 minutes in the pan before inverting it onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Melt ¾ cup of chocolate chips in the microwave for another 60 seconds and then stir until smooth. Drizzle over the top of the cake.
Slice and serve.
- Vinegar. If you do not have apple cider vinegar on hand any other vinegar, like red wine vinegar or white vinegar will work just fine in its place. Apple cider vinegar does help to enhance the chocolate flavors better than other vinegar options so keep that in mind.
- Cacao powder: You can specifically buy cacao powder if desired or you can use your regular unsweetened baking cocoa powder as it’s almost the same thing.
- Storage. This cake can be kept well covered with plastic wrap in the fridge for about 3-5 days. This should give you plenty of time to enjoy this delicious cake.
- Serving. You can serve the chocolate cake when the icing has been drizzled on top or wait for it to solidify first, this is a personal preference but I think it tastes best when a bit warm.
Can I leave cake in bundt pan overnight?
Yes, if you make this cake at night and need it to cool, there is no problem with leaving it in the pan to cool all night. Then it should be perfectly ready to frost and serve tomorrow.
How do I make sure my bundt cake doesn’t stick?
Greasing your cake pan well will help greatly. I also recommend that if your bundt pan has a known issue with sticking to your cakes that you take an extra precaution of dusting the pan with flour after greasing it. Because this is a chocolate cake, lightly dusting it with cocoa powder will work to avoid white streaks on your cake and to help prevent sticking.
Can I freeze a bundt cake?
Yes, this cake can be frozen either before or after the chocolate glaze has been added. I recommend freezing before the glaze though as chocolate is known to “sweat” as it thaws. Simply wrap your cooled cake in plastic wrap and store in a large airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Then thaw on the counter for a few hours or overnight in the fridge and frost the top as directed before serving. Enjoy!
If you loved this chocolate cake recipe then you are going to love these other chocolate-packed desserts!
- 3-Ingredient Chocolate Cake With Sprinkles
- Irish Coffee Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Caramel Brookie Bars
- Double Chocolate Chip Muffins With Cherries
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Cake
Double Chocolate Sweet Potato Bundt Cake
- 1 cup sweet potato puree
- 1 ⅔ almond milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup cacao powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- *vegan butter or regular butter to grease the cake pan
- ¾ cup chocolate chips, melted
1. Pre-heat the oven to 350F and grease the cake pan with abundant vegan butter.
2. Mix sweet potato puree with milk in a large bowl. Then add brown sugar, vanilla extract, and apple cider vinegar. Whisk until combined.
3. Melt ½ cup of chocolate chips in the microwave for 60 seconds and mix it with the sweet potato batter.
4. Use a different bowl to combine dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, cacao powder, and salt).
5. Add the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients and stir until well combined.
6. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Shake the pan onto the counter and smooth the top with a spatula.
7. Bake the cake for 60-65 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Very tiny lumps (almost insignificant ones) are ok as this is a moist cake.
8. Let it cool for 15 minutes before inverting it into a wire rack to chill thoroughly.
9. Melt ¾ cup of chocolate chips in the microwave and pour it over the cake.
10. Enjoy this cake with the chocolate recently melted (my choice) or when it solidifies.
Leave a Reply