This sweet potato hash features perfectly seasoned salmon and delicately poached eggs. This dish makes a hearty breakfast or dinner, you decide!
My family has a pajama obsession. My kids will stay in their pajamas all day if I let them. I love my pajamas too, but by the time 11:00 am. rolls around, I feel sort of gross being in them. Mentally I cannot mix my night-time habits with my day time habits.
My kids would happily eat dinner in their pj’s and then hit the sack without giving a second thought to the ketchup stains setting on their pajama tops. Honestly, the thought of going to bed with even a speck of food on me makes my stomach crawl. As I type this I realize I’m probably the weird one. The fact that my kids can wear their PJs for a full 24 hours, then turn around and do it all over again isn’t that odd to most people is it?
The only time I’m ok with mixing my night-time habits with my day time habits is when we have breakfast for dinner. I can’t explain it but eating breakfast for dinner makes me feel like I’m cheating time.
The crispy, salty bacon is a great partner for the sweet potato and mild salmon. The yolks from the eggs almost form a sauce as they break open. The whole thing is rather heavenly.
If you haven’t made a poached egg before, have no fear. I believe it sounds more intimidating than it actually is. A poached egg is similar to a fried egg in appearance, but there is no fat involved. Simply bring vinegar infused water to a simmer, carefully drop your egg into the water (a cup is very useful for this step) and let the water gently cook the egg. Easy like Sunday morning right?
Kids can wear pajamas all day, I can eat sweet potato hash all day, we all win.
Sweet Potato Hash with Salmon and Eggs
Tender sweet potatoes are mixed with mild salmon, crispy potatoes, and soft poached eggs.
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 salmon filet (1 lb)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crispy. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Remove skin from salmon and cut fish into cubes. Add salmon to bacon grease and cook until just faintly pink and fish begins to flake about 8 minutes. Remove salmon and set aside.
- Add butter to the same skillet. Stir in onions and peppers. Cook vegetables until tender and add garlic, cook an additional minute. Add sweet potatoes to vegetables. Season with salt, cumin, and paprika. Cover and cook potatoes for 10-15 minutes or until they are tender.
- Meanwhile fill a large, deep skillet with two inches of water. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a low boil. Add vinegar and continue to boil water slowly. Break eggs into individual teacups or ramekins. When water is at a low boil, gently drop each egg into water. Egg whites will begin to set immediately. Allow eggs to cook for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and serve over the hash.
Hash recipes around the web: