This sweet potato hash features perfectly seasoned salmon and delicately poached eggs. This dish makes a hearty breakfast or dinner, you decide!
I like to make potato hash, like my Southwestern Potato Hash recipe as a breakfast meal because it’s easy and filling. I love topping it with eggs too, but this time I took it up a notch and made this sweet potato hash recipe that is perfect for breakfast or dinner.
Made with fresh cooked salmon this meal is healthy and filling. The savory taste is perfect for a dinner but this can also be served up as the best breakfast sweet potato hash too.
Salmon and Potato Hash
This salmon and sweet potato recipe has it all. The crispy, salty bacon is a great partner for sweet potato and mild salmon. The yolks from the eggs almost form a sauce as they break open. The whole thing is rather heavenly. Making this salmon hash is also incredibly easy even if the dish does sound rather fancy.
If you haven’t made a poached egg before, have no fear. I believe it sounds more intimidating than it actually is. A poached egg is similar to a fried egg in appearance, but there is no fat involved. Simply bring vinegar-infused water to a simmer, carefully drop your egg into the water (a cup is very useful for this step) and let the water gently cook the egg. Easy like Sunday morning right?
Ingredients you’ll need for Sweet Potato Hash with Salmon and Eggs:
- Sliced bacon
- Salmon fillet
- Red bell pepper
- Garlic clove
- Sweet potatoes
- White vinegar
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Sweet Potato Hash with Salmon and Eggs
- Cook your bacon in a skillet until nice and crispy. Remove the bacon and then set it aside.
- Remove the skin from your salmon and cut the fish into cube-sized pieces.
- Add the salmon to the bacon grease and cook until it’s just faintly pink and the fish begins to flake. This will take about 8 minutes. Remove the salmon and set it aside.
- Add your butter to the skillet and stir in the onions and peppers. Cook until the vegetables are tender and then add in the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add in the sweet potatoes.
- Season with salt, cumin, and paprika.
- Cover the pan and allow the potatoes to cook for 10-15 minutes or until they are tender.
- Meanwhile, fill a large deep skillet with 2 inches of water.
- Add in 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Bring the mix to a boil.
- Add in the vinegar and continue to boil the water slowly. Do not let it become a rapid boil.
- Break the eggs into individual tea cups or ramekins.
- When the water is at a hot low boil, gently drop the eggs into the water. The egg white will begin to set immediately.
- Allow the eggs to cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and serve over your hash.
Is Sweet Potato Hash with Salmon Healthy?
This is a pretty good dish that can have you feeling full and happy about your choices. Salmon is high in omega 3’s and packed with protein while sweet potatoes are high in potassium and fiber. Add in the eggs which are also good for you and you have a pretty great dish to enjoy without ruining your diet.
How Long Are Leftovers Good For?
I wouldn’t recommend keeping leftovers for more than 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge. This will keep the eggs and salmon from spoiling. Reheat the dish before serving so that it’s still nice and warm.
What to Serve With Sweet Potato Hash
This dish could be great served alongside some simple side dishes like toast, dinner rolls, or fruit. Even serving it up with a simple green salad could be a viable option if you’re turning it into a dinner meal.
Here are some more delicious salmon recipes to enjoy soon!
- Salmon Tacos with Jalapeno Cream
- BLT Salmon Dinner
- Bourbon Glazed Salmon Salad
- Easy Grilled Salmon Recipe with Chickpea Salsa
- Pasta Primavera Recipe with Salmon
- Mediterranean Salmon (Sheet Pan)
- 4 slices of bacon
- 1 salmon filet (1 lb)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- Cook bacon in a large skillet until crispy. Remove bacon and set aside.
- Remove skin from salmon and cut fish into cubes. Add salmon to bacon grease and cook until just faintly pink and fish begins to flake about 8 minutes. Remove salmon and set aside.
- Add butter to the same skillet. Stir in onions and peppers. Cook vegetables until tender and add garlic, cook an additional minute. Add sweet potatoes to vegetables. Season with salt, cumin, and paprika. Cover and cook potatoes for 10-15 minutes or until they are tender.
- Meanwhile fill a large, deep skillet with two inches of water. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a low boil. Add vinegar and continue to boil water slowly. Break eggs into individual teacups or ramekins. When water is at a low boil, gently drop each egg into water. Egg whites will begin to set immediately. Allow eggs to cook for 3 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and serve over the hash.
Amount Per Serving Calories 230Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 161mgSodium 670mgCarbohydrates 12gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 16g