Salmon pasta is a quick and nutritious dinner idea that can be made in just minutes. Serve it with garlic bread, or a side of veggies depending on the season.
Salmon Nutrition Information
One of the reasons this dish is so healthy is because it is made with salmon. A single portion of salmon at 3.5 ounces or 100 grams has over 20 grams of protein as well as several vitamins and minerals like Vitamin B12, B6, and Selenium.
Salmon is also low in calories and one portion is about 200. It is additionally a great source of Omega-3 Fatty Acids which are something that your body cannot produce on its own and must get from an outside source.
Health Benefits of Salmon
Besides just being nutritious, many studies have shown that eating salmon provides certain health benefits.
- Lower levels of inflammation
- Lower blood pressure
- Reduces risk of getting cancer
- Helps repair damaged DNA
- Lowers your risk of a stroke and other cardiovascular diseases
- Protects bone health
- Improves memory and learning functions
- Promotes a healthy brain
There isn’t any part of your body salmon doesn’t help, so it should be a part of your diet regularly.
How to Make Salmon Pasta
Salmon pasta can be made easily in just a few minutes by following these instructions.
- Smoked Salmon
- Lemon Zest
Step 1: Cook the Pasta
Boil water and cook the pasta according to the instructions on the box.
Step 2: Mince the Garlic
Cut the garlic into small pieces and set aside.
Step 3: Melt Butter
Using a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter then add the garlic. Cook until the garlic is golden brown.
Step 4: Cut the Other Ingredients
Cut your smoked salmon into strips and chop your herbs.
Step 5: Add the Pasta
Add the cooked pasta to the pan with the garlic and the butter. Then add in the salmon, capers, salt, and herbs and mix them together.
Step 6: Serve
Finish off the salmon pasta dish with some lemon zest. Your pasta is now ready to serve.
Salmon Pasta Expert Tips:
- If you use salted capers, rinse them before adding them to the pain as they contain excess salt.
- Swap out the smoked salmon for cured salmon if you want a fresher taste.
- You can double or triple the recipe and save the leftovers for easy reheated meals throughout the week.
How to Serve Salmon Pasta
Salmon pasta is an amazing meal on its own, the only thing it lacks is a serving of veggies. For this reason, you should serve your veggie pasta with a serving of green veggies like broccoli or spinach.
You can also serve salmon pasta with a fresh tossed salad topped with a light vinaigrette. Garlic bread can be a nice touch as well during the cold winter season.
How to Store Salmon Pasta
Any leftovers you may have need to be placed in an air-tight container. They can be stored in the fridge for up to a week. It is not recommended to freeze salmon pasta as this will destroy the quality of the fish.
What Pasta Goes With Salmon?
Almost any type of white or wheat pasta goes well with salmon. You can choose a linguine if you want a more refined dinner or bow-tie pasta for something quick and easy.
Can You Eat Salmon Past the Sell Date?
You can eat salmon past the sell-by date as long as it is only 1 or 2 days after the date and you check the meat for any signs of spoilage. If more than 2 days have passed since the sell-by date, you should throw the salmon out.
How Long Does Salmon Last in the Fridge?
Raw salmon only lasts in the fridge for 1-2 days. But once that salmon has been cooked, it can be safe to eat for 5-7 days.
How Do You Know if Salmon Has Gone Bad?
Salmon that is bad will often be off-color or look dry or cracked. Bad salmon may also smell rancid, or have black spots or mold on the surface. You should never take a chance on bad salmon and should throw it out the minute you see any of the above signs.
Overall, salmon pasta is a recipe you need to add to your rotation. It’s nutritious and easy to make even after a long day of work. Whether you make it in advance as part of your meal prep or decide to make it fresh each night, you will always enjoy a delicious plate of this salmon pasta recipe.
Tasty and Healthy Salmon Pasta Recipe
Insanely good salmon pasta that will satisfy your craving for a quick and delicious meal. So easy to make!
- 2 oz pasta per person
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup capers
- 1 cup smoked salmon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- A bunch of fresh chives (around 4 tablespoons)
- A bunch of fresh dill (around 4 tablespoons)
- Put the water to boil and once it does cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- Finely mince the garlic cloves (or use a garlic press) and set aside.
- In a pan melt the butter and add the minced garlic. Cook on medium-low heat until golden and fragrant.
- Cut the salmon in thin strips. Set aside.
- Chop finely the fresh herbs and set them aside.
- Once the pasta is cooked add it to the pan with the fried garlic and butter and mix well.
- Add the salmon, capers, salt, and herbs to the pan and mix well.
- To finish the dish add some lemon zest freshly grated on top of each plate.
If you use Italian capers, they might come with salt, so before using them make sure to rinse them well. You can leave them in water while the pasta cooks too. The capers I’ve used are unsalted.
You can use smoked salmon or cured salmon, whatever you preffer.
This pasta dish is perfect to make in advance and have ready in the fridge, so is very meal prep friendly.
It lasts for up to a week in a sealed container in the fridge.
Leave a Reply