You know why I love quick breads? Well, because they are quick. I’m not trying to be mouthy but seriously that’s why I love quick breads! My family does too. I like to keep banana bread or zucchini bread around for easy grab and go breakfasts.
Quick breads typically do not contain yeast. This means you will not have to allow the bread to rise; hence the name quick bread. They can be mixed by hand in one bowl, poured and then baked. While bake times are often just under an hour the whole process from start to finish should not take you much longer than that. This, coupled with the fact that quick breads are often sweet or fruity make them so appealing.
This snickerdoodle loaf is adapted from my Cherry Almond Quick Bread recipe. I made a few modifications, however. I did swap out half of the white sugar called for in the original recipe and replaced it with half a cup of SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend. I wanted to keep the sweet taste but without all the calories. I used non-fat Greek yogurt per my original recipe, but I did alter my flour; I used one cup all-purpose flour and one cup of white whole wheat flour. You could solely use all-purpose flour and your snickerdoodle bread would turn out perfect.
To get a swirling effect, add your quick bread batter to your bread pan one layer at a time. Sprinkle your cinnamon sugar mixture in between layers. Use a long skewer to carefully swirl the cinnamon throughout the snickerdoodle loaf. I took the cinnamon flavor in this loaf even further by topping my bread with a very simple streusel made from flour, cinnamon, butter, and SPLENDA® Brown Sugar blend (which is versatile enough for baking and cooking).
This easy quick bread recipe has lots of cinnamon sugar flavor without be overpowering. The texture of the loaf is soft and tender; like cake for breakfast but better! It tastes wholesome and delicious.
For the bread
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup plain Greek Yogurt
- 3 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
For the topping
- 1/4 cinnamon sugar mixture
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 SPLENDA ® Brown Sugar Blend
- 4 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 5 x 9 in pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a bowl, cream together butter, sugars, eggs and extract. In a small bowl, combine 3 teaspoons of cinnamon and 1/2 cup sugar.
- In a separate bowl, combine flours, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Carefully add dry ingredients to wet ingredients. Stir in yogurt until completely incorporated. Pour 1/4 of thebatter into bread pan. Sprinkle with a tablespoon of sugar mixture. Top with 1/4 of the batter and again sprinkle a tablespoon of sugar mixture. Reserve 1/4 cup of cinnamon sugar remaining. Repeat twice (you will have 4 layers of batter). Swirl batter with a long skewer or a knife.
- Combine remaining cinnamon sugar mixture, flour, brown sugar blend and butter. Sprinkle over bread.
- Bake bread for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with loose crumbs. Remove to a cooling rack for 10-15 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1 slice
Amount Per Serving Calories 327Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 78mgSodium 350mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 2gSugar 29gProtein 6g
SPLENDA® Brand is sharing ways to save calories by swapping full sugar for SPLENDA® Sweeteners through their Sweet Swaps Program.