These grilled chicken drumsticks are smokey, sweet and delicious to eat!
Once a year I get an intense craving for fried chicken. I’m talking the crispy, crunchy, juicy, deep-fried chicken. You know, the kind of chicken that leaves your lips glossy from all the grease. I crave it in the worst way. I tend to fight off the craving; my stupid conscience gets the better of me. It is best that way. The truth is I know if I went out and bought myself some fried chicken, I’d want french fries, and a thick ice cream shake to go with it. By that point, I will have consumed enough fat and calories to last me a week! Suddenly fried chicken doesn’t sound so good.
Chicken breasts and chicken wings taste so good on the grill. These grilled chicken drumsticks taste just as delicious, especially since they are smothered in a rich and bold chili garlic bbq sauce. This is the same sauce I used on my ribs; it’s spicy and sweet all at the same time. It is a versatile sauce that works well with pork, steak and chicken.
About Grilled Chicken Drumsticks:
These grilled chicken drumsticks are so easy, it’s ridiculous. Simply coat your drumsticks with salt and pepper and place on a preheated grill (don’t forget to coat the grill with cooking spray) for about 20 minutes. You will want to turn your drumsticks a time or two. Those grill marks keep you in check and update you on the cooking process. After about 20 minutes, baste your drumsticks with the bbq sauce. Be sure to lay it on nice and thick; be generous. You want the heat from the grill to sear in the flavor and get the bbq sauce to fully adhere to those drumsticks. Turn your chicken and baste the second side. Each side will take about 5 minutes to cook with the sauce.
There you have it, grilled chicken drumsticks that are so finger-licking, lip-smacking good. Keep the wet wipes handy, this recipe is a keeper!
Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
Simple grilled chicken drumsticks coated in a spicy bbq sauce!
- 3 lbs chicken drumsticks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Sambal Oelek
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Spray the grates of an outdoor grill with non-stick spray. Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over drumsticks. Place chicken on grill and heat for 20 minutes, turning once. Baste chicken with sauce and continue to grill for 5 minutes. Turn chicken over and baste second side. Grill an additional 5 minutes. Serve with additional sauce.
- Note: The recipe for the sauce makes quite a bit. You only need about 1/2 cup for this recipe.
- Kroger brand ingredients were used to to make this recipe