Spicy, sticky, sweet and perfect; that’s the best way to describe this Chili Garlic BBQ Ribs Recipe!
I try to be an efficient person. Try is the key word; I fail… a lot. But the truth is I don’t have time to be inefficient. So I do things like cut all the vegetables for school lunches on one day. I also check emails while drying my hair, catch up with friends while walking the dog, help with homework while cooking dinner and sometimes I even brush my teeth in the shower. In essence; I’m trying to perfect the art of multi-tasking.
One of the best ways to be efficient is to cook one sauce and serve it three ways! This bbq ribs recipe is perfectly fine on its own; the ribs are seasoned and after two hours of baking they are so tender the meat just falls off the bone. But that’s not where the recipe stops, no sir. You then grill the ribs and smother them with this intensely robust chili bbq sauce! This sauce is so delicious, that I even use it in three additional recipes! (those will come soon, just you wait).
I’ve made Kahlua bbq sauce and balsamic bbq sauce; I’d say this chili garlic bbq sauce ranks right up there as one of the best. The sauce starts with the usual suspects, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar and a little brown sugar. But then you add shallots, four cloves of garlic and sambal oelek which is a spicy Thai chili paste. Suddenly your usual and ordinary bbq sauce becomes a crimson sauce of full-bodied flavor! The fact that you can use it in multiple ways and on a variety of meats makes this a bbq sauce that’s worth keeping!
BBQ Ribs Recipe:
- I used baby back ribs for this recipe: I prefer them. The sauce would work with spareribs or beef ribs as well
- With ribs, you’ll often find a “silverskin” underneath. This is a thin white membrane that will need to be removed before you bake your ribs otherwise the ribs will tough. Carefully run a knife under the skin and pull the skin up with your fingers; discard. Now my ribs came with the skin removed. You can always ask your groceries meat department to remove the skin for you.
- You’ll want to cook these ribs slow and low. Just pop them in the oven and let them cook for a couple of hours before you even get the grill ready! The grill will seal in the flavor add a nice smokey char to your ribs.
- Adjust the seasoning in the bbq sauce to suit your tastes; add more or less chili sauce and garlic.
- You will need about 1 cup of the sauce for this recipe; 1/3 of the sauce for basting and the rest to serve on the side. The sauce recipe yields plenty so don’t be stingy! Store sauce in the refrigerator.
The best part about this recipes is that all my ingredients were easily found in my local Kroger store and store brand products were used for almost all of my ingredients! So easy!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small shallot, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup Sambal Oelek
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 slabs baby back ribs
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons pepper
- 4 teaspoon paprika
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a bowl; stir and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Combine salt, pepper and paprika in a small bowl. Rub seasoning over ribs. Wrap ribs in aluminum foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake ribs for 2 hours.
- After two hours; spray your grill with non-stick spray and heat grill to medium low. Place ribs, meat side up on your grill grates. Brush bbq over tops and sides of ribs. Close the lid and grill for 5-6 minutes. Turn ribs and baste and grill another 5 minutes. Repeat turning and basting process one more time; serve with additional bbq sauce.
- I used Kroger brand products for most of the ingredients listed
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 164 Total Fat 4g Saturated Fat 1g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 2g Cholesterol 10mg Sodium 2022mg Carbohydrates 32g Fiber 1g Sugar 26g Protein 4g
MORE RIBS TO LOVE:
The Perfect Side:
This post contains an affiliate link. Thank you for letting me share products that I know and love.