These ice cream sandwiches have all the flavor of a S’more! So who needs S’mores?
Chocolate cookies are held together with homemade marshmallow ice cream and then dipped in graham cracker crumbs!
This is a fun take on a summertime classic! Everyone loves campfire smores but what to do when it’s too hot to turn on the fire? Make ice cream of course! With this smore ice cream cookie sandwich recipe we really get the best of both worlds. A delicious nostalgic treat and a creamy ice cold dessert in one. Everyone will love this simple indoor smore recipe.
Making S’Mores Ice Cream Sandwiches
Since summer is for S’mores, I baked up some fudgy chocolate cookies and glued them together with homemade marshmallow ice cream. Making a custard based ice cream only takes a handful of minutes to cook, the rest is chilling time. You can chill the custard while you whip up the cookies. I blended marshmallow fluff into the ice cream as it came out of the ice cream maker. It incorporates a little better and no marshmallow flavor is lost.
For the cookies:
- Unsweetened chocolate
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Large eggs
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
For the ice cream filling:
- Half and half
- Granulated sugar
- Egg yolks
- Whole milk Greek yogurt
- Vanilla extract
- Marshmallow fluff
- Graham cracker crumbs
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make S’Mores Ice Cream Sandwiches
- In a saucepan combine the butter, unsweetened chocolate, and 1 1/2 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- Cook over low heat while stirring until the butter and chocolate have melted. Stir until smooth and then remove from the heat and let cool.
- In a small bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the eggs, sugar, and vanilla until mixed.
- Carefully beat in the flour mixture until well incorporated.
- Add in the melted chocolate and beat until combined.
- Use a large cookie scoop to scoop up the dough and drop it onto parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 1 minute before removing them to a cooling rack. You should have about 24 large cookies.
Ice cream filling
- Combine the half and half and sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- In a large heatproof bowl whisk together the egg yolks and remaining sugar.
- Carefully whisk in your hot milk mixture until completely blended.
- Return everything to the saucepan and stir over medium heat until the mixture begins to thicken and resembles the appearance and texture of custard. This will take roughly 3 minutes to do.
- Strain the custard and pour it into a small bowl that has been set into a large bowl filled with ice.
- Allow the custard to cool to room temperature.
- Remove and then stir in the yogurt, vanilla, and salt.
- Place the mixture into the fridge until completely cooled.
- Once the mixture has been cooled completely place it into the bowl of an ice cream maker and proceed with turning it into ice cream by following your owner’s manual instructions for your specific machine.
- Transfer the ice cream to a container and fold in the marshmallow fluff until fully incorporated. cover and freeze until firm.
- Top the bottom of one cookie with a scoop of ice cream and then top with another cookie so that the bottoms of the cookies are on either side of the ice cream. Repeat until all of the cookies have been filled.
- Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Place your graham cracker crumbs into a shallow bowl like a pie plate and then dip the sandwich cookies into the crumbs, rolling the sides in it to help coat.
- Place back into the freezer until ready to serve.
Don’t feel like baking cookies? Use store bought!
I used Greek yogurt in this ice cream recipe. It gives the yogurt a subtle tang but keeps it light and creamy too.
There’s s’more to love with these sweet recipes:
- S’mores Oatmeal Cream Pies
- S’Mores Rice Krispies Recipe
- S’mores Ice Cream Cake
- S’mores Quesadilla Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Ice cream filling
- 1 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 7 oz marshmallow fluff
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- Combine the butter, unsweetened chocolate and 1 ½ cups of semi sweet chocolate in a saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring until butter and chocolate have melted. Stir until smooth, remove from heat and let cool.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Beat eggs, sugar and vanilla in the bowl of mixer. Carefully beat in flour mixture. Beat well. Add in cooled chocolate. Beat until well combined
- Using a large cookie scoop, drop dough onto lined baking sheets.
- Bake in a 350-degree oven for 10 minutes. Let cookies cool on baking sheets for 1 minute before removing to a cooling rack. You should get 24 large cookies.
- For the ice cream: in a saucepan, stir together half and half and ½ cup sugar over medium heat. Bring mixture to a boil. Whisk egg yolks and remaining sugar in a large heatproof bowl. Carefully whisk hot liquid into egg mixture until completely blended. Return everything to saucepan and stir over medium heat until mixture begins to thicken and start to resemble custard, this should take about 3 minutes. Strain custard and pour into a small bowl, which is set in a large bowl of ice. Let cool to room temperature. Remove and stir in yogurt, vanilla and salt. Refrigerate until completely cooled.
- Pour custard into the bowl of an ice cream maker and proceed according to manufacturers directions. Transfer to a container and fold in marshmallow fluff until it is fully incorporated. Cover and freeze ice cream until firm.
- To assemble. Top one cookie with a scoop of ice cream and top with a second cookie. Repeat until all the cookies have been used. Freeze for 30 minutes. Place graham cracker crumbs in a shallow bowl and dip sandwiches into crumbs, rolling to get all sides. Refreeze until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 601Total Fat 26gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 138mgSodium 276mgCarbohydrates 87gFiber 4gSugar 62gProtein 10g