These Butterscotch Marshmallow Bites are simple and quick no-bake treats!
Pretzels, marshmallows, butterscotch, and chocolate, the perfect combination of smooth, crunchy, salty, and sweet.
These butterscotch marshmallow treats are so simple and easy to make that the whole family can get involved. From the microwaved melted chocolate to the butterscotch dipped marshmallows and then some. All of the steps are simple and easy, perfect for any age and skill level. Serve your no-bake treats up for the holidays and watch as everyone enjoys these easy marshmallow bites. They’re always such a huge hit!
What are no bake treats?
No bake treats are what we call recipes that don’t require the use of an oven. This recipe only needs a microwave to make them although you could melt the butterscotch and chocolates in double boilers on the stove if needed. But the microwave is simple and easy and even if you’re stuck in a hotel room for the holidays you can still whip up this Christmas treat, making it convenient too.
- Round or square pretzels
- Butterscotch chips
- Large marshmallows
- Chocolate candy coating
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Butterscotch Marshmallow Bites
- Place a large baking rack over wax paper. This will make the clean-up a lot easier.
- Arrange your pretzels over the top of the baking rack.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the butterscotch chips and shortening. Melt in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring well between each until smooth.
- Dip each marshmallow into the butterscotch using two forks and then gently place the marshmallow onto the pretzels.
- In another microwave safe bowl, melt the chocolate coating and the remaining 3 tablespoons of shortening. Stir every 30 seconds until melted.
- Pour about 1 tablespoon of chocolate over each marshmallow, allowing the chocolate to drip down the sides.
- Decorate with sprinkles if desired.
- Allow your marshmallows to set for about 30 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.
I love topping my no bake treats with festive and fun sprinkles on top but you can omit them if desired or choose sprinkles that match your party or theme.
While you might have seen similar candies in the form of fudge or candy bars, these little bites are perfect and don’t require a knife for serving. Keep your marshmallow bites stored in an airtight container for up to a week at room temperature.
You could also keep these treats stored in the fridge for up to two weeks but note that the cold air will make the pretzels go stale as a result. you will also want to make sure that the pretzels come to room temperature or close to it before eating so that they aren’t too hard and chewy on the teeth.
For added flavor and fun you can place a small dollop of peanut butter onto the bottom of each marshmallow before placing the marshmallows onto the pretzels. This will give you an added layer of flavor and fun as well as help to hold the marshmallow in place. To make it nut-friendly you can opt for an allergy-friendly peanut butter alternative.
What kind of pretzel works best for these bite-sized treats?
I recommend sticking with the smaller pretzel varieties. the ones often seen in circles or squares work best because they’re small and bite-sized already making them the perfect size for holding our marshmallow as well. Which should be the key factor in deciding which pretzel to use- which one can fit the marshmallow?
Why is my chocolate sweating?
If you take your marshmallow bites out of a cold temperature and try to bring them to a warmer temperature, for example moving them from the freezer or fridge to room temp, you may notice the chocolate coating beginning to sweat. This is completely normal and harmless. After a while, the condensation or “sweat” on the chocolate will stop and they’ll go back to looking normal again. In some cases the texture may look white or grainy, this is also normal and it just means that the chocolate separated a bit.
Check out these other delicious butterscotch recipes
- Butterscotch Pumpkin Dump Cake
- Apple Butterscotch Skillet Cookie Recipe
- Maple Butterscotch Scone Recipe
- Butterscotch Gingerbread Cookies
- 32 Round or square pretzels
- 1 10oz bag butterscotch chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 16 large marshmallows cut in half
- 18 oz chocolate candy coating
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- Place a large baking rack over wax paper.
- Arrange pretzels over baking rack.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine butterscotch chips and shortening. Melt in 30-second intervals stirring constantly.
- Dip each marshmallow half in melted butterscotch. Using two forks, gently place marshmallows onto pretzels.
- In another microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate candy coating and remaining 3 tablespoons of shortening. Stir every 30 seconds until melted. Pour about a tablespoon of chocolate over each marshmallow allowing chocolate to drip down sides. Decorate with sprinkles if desired. Allow marshmallows to set for about 30 minutes.
- Store in an airtight container.
Serving Size1 bite
Amount Per Serving Calories 162Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 6gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 5mgSodium 34mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 16gProtein 2g