A soft, flaky scone recipe loaded with butterscotch chips and real maple syrup. The maple glaze transforms these simple scones into something extraordinary!
I made this scone recipe using SPLENDA® Sweetener Products as part of a sponsored post for Socialstars #SplendaSweeties #SweetSwaps
Let me tell you the story about how I realized I was pregnant with my first child. I woke up in the middle of the night with an internal biscuit debate swirling about in my head. I could not decide who had the better biscuit; Bob Evans or Kentucky Fried Chicken. I could list several reasons why I liked both, but I couldn’t commit to just one. Eventually, I ran out of reasons for and against each biscuit. At this point, I began to realize this biscuit discussion I was having with myself was not normal. That’s when I concluded that I was indeed pregnant.
I still dream about food, but not because I’m pregnant. Today my dreams are a byproduct of being a food blogger. I come up with some of my best recipe ideas in the middle of the night. Take these Baklava Bites…I thought them up in the middle the night. Or these Cheese Filled Egg Rolls? Yep, came to me in the middle of the night. These are just an example of the ideas I remember! I probably had dozens of recipe ideas that were forgotten before I ever woke up.
This maple butterscotch scone recipe was another idea that hit me in my sleep. It’s been a while since I’ve made scones. I must have been dreaming about fall flavors because I woke up craving maple and butterscotch and figured scones were the perfect way to enjoy the two.
Scones are similar in texture to biscuits, they are light, tender and flaky. Scones are often sweetened with sugar. This scone recipe would call for about 1/3 cup of brown sugar. I wanted the sweetness of sugar in these scones but without all the calories. So I substituted SPLENDA@ Brown Sugar Blend for the brown sugar. The brown sugar blend is not an equal substitute for sugar; you will use less of the sugar blend than traditional sugar called for in your recipes. This is one reason I use SPLENDA® Sweeteners; they are versatile enough for most recipes.
A few things about the recipe:
- Always cut in cold butter into your dough. I use a pastry blender, but two forks work well also. The cold butter is what will give you light and flaky scones.
- Freeze your dough after you pat it into your circle. The butter will become warm after it has been worked with, the freezer will help it firm up again.
- I pat my scones into an 8-inch circle that yields larger scones. You can make two 4 inch circles if you want smaller scones.
- 2 cups flour
- 3 tablespoons SPLENDA® Brand Brown Sugar Blend
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3/4 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter softened
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 3-4 tablespoons of heavy cream
- In a bowl, combine flour, brown sugar blend, baking powder and salt. Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender or two forks until mixture resemble coarse meal. Add the butterscotch chips to flour mixture.
- Stir in maple syrup and 1 1/4 cup heavy cream and mix just until dough has come together (the dough will still be fairly crumbly).
- Turn dough onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet and pat it into an 8-inch circle. Place dough in the freezer for about 5 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Remove scones from freezer and brush on the remaining heavy cream.
- Bake scones for 13 minutes or until golden brown. Allow scones to cool completely before drizzling with the glaze.
- To prepare the glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, butter and maple syrup. Stir in milk until your reach the desired consistency. Allow glaze to set completely before storing in an air-tight container.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 568 Total Fat 37g Saturated Fat 24g Trans Fat 1g Unsaturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 93mg Sodium 448mg Carbohydrates 56g Fiber 1g Sugar 31g Protein 5g
Visit SweetSwaps.com to see how you can swap out calories and sugar!
Connect with SPLENDA® Brand: