Candied Almonds coated in sugar, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice! Sweet snacking for any occasion!
There are certain places that have distinctive smells associated with them. You cannot step foot in a movie theater without being accosted by the buttery scent of popcorn. The air around any state fair is often thick with the aroma of fried food, and baseball games are filled with the scent of beer, hot dogs and soft pretzels. Food smells, everywhere you go, there are food to smell.
Each year our local zoo has a winter festival that starts right around Thanksgiving. This is one event I don’t like to miss. Nothing says “it’s the holidays” like elephants and monkeys right? Obviously there are way more than animals. There are a gazillion twinkling lights, Christmas carolers, holiday inflatables, gingerbread men, reindeer and of course, Santa Claus. But what gets me is the intoxicating smell of cinnamon laden candied almonds.
Honestly, we walk into the zoo and I make a beeline for the nearest almond stand. I just have to have them. They are warm, toasty and covered in copious amounts of cinnamon sugar. Kids can have the gingerbread men, I want the almonds!
I am so thankful I discovered how easy it is to make these almonds at home. All you need is an egg white and some cinnamon sugar. I also added pumpkin pie spice to my almonds in honor of the upcoming Thanksgiving holiday. You literally, mix, bake, cool and eat these almonds. That’s it. Change the flavors up as you see fit. These are incredible to snack on, but they’d make excellent gifts too.
- 2 cup whole, unsalted almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon maple extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 300. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- In a bowl combine sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg white until it is frothy and pale in color. Stir in extracts and salt. Toss in almonds. Stir to coat. Add almonds to cinnamon sugar stirring so that the almonds get completely coated.
- Bake for 25 minutes, stirring after 10. Remove from oven and cool completely. Store in an airtight container
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 308Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 1gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 16gCholesterol 0mgSodium 40mgCarbohydrates 33gFiber 4gSugar 27gProtein 8g