Chicken Pot Pie gets an update with this family friendly recipe! This version is biscuit topped and delicious. A great way to get kids cooking in the kitchen!
You and your kids are going to love this simple and easy chicken pot pie recipe. It’s kid friendly too, which means that they can help you make this almost every step of the way. So gather the kids around the table and prepare a delicious and comforting meal that everyone can enjoy together from start to finish.
Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits
I love making shortcuts and simplified steps whenever I can which is why I love the biscuits on top instead of pie crust. This biscuit pot pie doesn’t require a lot of chopping, ee simply cut canned biscuits in half with kitchen scissors then tossed them with seasoning in a zip-top bag. The chicken pie filling does require a few more steps as it is mixed together on the stovetop but the steps are fairly simple and easy and don’t take too long at all to do.
Ingredients you’ll need for Chicken Pot Pie:
- Cooked chicken
- Frozen vegetables
- All-purpose flour
- Chopped onion
- Uncle Ben’s Ready Rice, cooked
- Dried thyme
- Dried oregano
- Chicken broth
For the topping
- Parmesan cheese
- Dried onion
- Dried garlic
- Refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Chicken Pot Pie
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt your butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in the onions and then cook for about 2 minutes or until soft and translucent.
- Whisk in the flour.
- Gradually stir in the chicken broth and the seasonings.
- Reduce the what and cook for about 5 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Stir in the frozen vegetables, chicken, and rice.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased 9×13 baking dish.
- Cut your biscuits into quarter-sized pieces.
- Place the biscuit in a zipper-topped bag along with the seasonings and seal the bag shut.
- Shake well to coat.
- Place the biscuits on top of the chicken mixture in an even layer.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the biscuits are golden in color.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
What biscuits should I use for easy chicken pot pie with biscuits?
You can use any biscuit that you prefer whether it is Pillsbury Grands or a simple and cheap store-brand biscuit. They all cook up pretty similarly.
Can I prepare chicken pot pie in advance?
You can prepare this dish and loosely cover it with plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge for up to 4 hours before it needs to be baked. Please make sure to not add the biscuits until ready to bake as the hot filling may make them into a weird texture as the dish sits in the fridge.
Check out these other great pot pie recipes that you’re sure to enjoy!
Chicken Pot Pie (Kid Friendly)
Chicken Pot Pie gets an update with this family friendly recipe! This version is biscuit topped and delicious.
- 3 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 cup frozen vegetables (I used an Italian blend)
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 8.8 oz Uncle Ben's Ready Rice, cooked
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth
For the topping
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 1 teaspoon dried garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tube 12oz refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
- Heat oven to 400.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook for about 2 minutes or until soft and translucent. Whisk in flour. Gradually stir in chicken broth and seasoning. Reduce heat and cook for about 5 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken. Stir in frozen vegetables, chicken and rice. Spoon mixture into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Cut biscuits into quarters. Place biscuits in a zip top bag along with seasoning. Seal and shake to coat. Place biscuit quarters over chicken mixture.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.
Amount Per Serving Calories 238Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 43mgSodium 409mgCarbohydrates 19gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 12g