This muffuletta grilled cheese recipe has creamy melted provolone cheese and an easy olive salad tucked inside. It’s a comforting grilled cheese sandwich, but with a tasty upgrade.
This muffuletta sandwich recipe was one of my best recipe ideas to date. Stuffing this olive salad into a grilled cheese is one way to satisfy all of the cravings.
The creamy provolone is the perfect mild counterpart to the tangy, salty olive salad. The olive salad is also pretty forgiving, so you can swap out veggies as you need, just be sure to use the olives!
This grilled cheese recipe is very satisfying. It’s easy, delicious, and sort of addicting. This muffuletta grilled cheese just might have you enjoying grilled cheese sandwiches in a new light.
What is Muffuletta?
A muffuletta spread is an olive salad made with black and green olives as the base. From there we can add in other ingredients to really make the flavors stand out. Garlic is usually one of the main ingredients as well.
There are many different versions and variations of this but we’re making ours pretty simply with olives, pepper, garlic, and Giardiniera.
Ingredients you’ll need for Muffuletta Grilled Cheese:
- Sourdough Bread
- Provolone Cheese
- Green Olives
- Black Olives
- Red Bell Pepper
- Garlic Cloves
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Muffuletta Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Combine the green olives, black olives, red bell peppers, garlic, and giardiniera in a small bowl, and then set it aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread with half a teaspoon of butter.
- Lay the two slices of bread, butter side down, onto the hot skillet.
- Place one and a half slices of provolone cheese onto each slice of bread and then divide the olive mixture in half between the two slices by placing it over the top of the cheeses.
- place the remaining cheese slices on top of the olives. Top with the remaining bread slices, the butter side facing up.
- Toast the sandwiches for 3-4 minutes per side or until golden in color and the cheese has melted.
- Serve warm and enjoy.
How long is leftover muffuletta salad good for?
You can keep your olive salad in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. This should give you plenty of time to use and enjoy the spread.
What is Giardiniera?
This is a simple pickled vegetable mixture found inside your grocery store. If you’re unable to find it then you can simply omit it and replace it with some (about 2-3) stemmed and seeds pepperoncini instead.
What cheese is good for a muffuletta sandwich?
Traditionally these sandwiches are kept simple with basic provolone or mozzarella cheese. That said you can use any mild-flavored cheese if you think that it would taste good. A combination of provolone and mozzarella would give you a mild flavor with the cheesy stringy goodness in every slice.
Check out these other great grilled cheese sandwich recipes soon!
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- Jalapeno Chicken Grilled Cheese with White BBQ Sauce
- French Onion Grilled Cheese
- Roasted Corn & Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices Sourdough Bread
- 6 slices Provolone Cheese
- 2 teaspoons Butter
- 2 tablespoons Green Olives, Chopped
- 2 tablespoons Black Olives, Chopped
- 2 tablespoons Red Bell Pepper, Chopped
- 1 clove Garlic, Minced
- 2 tablespoons Giardiniera, Chopped
- In a small bowl combine green olives, black olives, red bell peppers, garlic and giardiniera.
- Set aside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Butter one side of each bread slice with a half teaspoon of butter. Lay two slices of bread, buttered side down in the skillet.
- Place one and half slices of provolone cheese on each piece of bread. Divide half of olive salad and place over cheese.
- Place remaining slices of cheese over olive salad, top with remaining bread slices, buttered side up. Toast sandwich for 3 - 4 minutes per side or until golden.