Caramelized onions and lots of gooey cheese come together to taste like the classic French onion soup!
This French Onion Grilled Cheese is a perfect lunch option for indulging in rich savory flavors.
This french onion grilled cheese sandwich is what dreams are made of. Cheesy melty gooey goodness packed with a sweetened savory onion flavor in every bite. You’re going to love this onion grilled cheese!
The salty beef broth is perfect for those sweet caramelized onions. The crusty bread is a must as it soaks up all that delicious broth. The hot and bubbly Gruyere cheese is creamy, nutty and melts right into the broth so that each bite hits you with different flavors and textures. the French onion soup flavor is just dreamy.
Inspired by Soup
That exquisite French onion soup is the inspiration behind this sandwich. I cooked down two small onions until they were soft and caramel in color. Then I added just a touch of beef base and a little water so that the onions would take on the flavor of my beloved soup. I placed these onions between two halves of crusty bread and added slices of white cheddar cheese.
Think of this recipe as a guideline. Just as you can swap out the cheese, the bread can be changed up as well. I used country-style bread that I found in the bakery section of my grocery store. Use what you have access to, as long as it’s on the firm side.
This sandwich is the hand-held version of my favorite soup! It has everything I love about French onion soup, but it’s something you can sink your teeth into!
- Olive Oil
- Black Pepper
- Beef Base
- Rustic Bread Slices
- White Cheddar Cheese
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make French Onion Grilled Cheese
- Heat your olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add in the onions.
- Cook your onion for about 15-20 minutes while stirring frequently. Continue to cook the onions until they begin to soften and turn golden in color.
- Reduce the heat to low and then stir in the pepper, beef base, and water. Stir to combine.
- Cook until the liquid has been mostly absorbed and the onions are thickened. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat on the stove and butter one side of each slice of bread.
- Place two slices of bread onto the pan, butter side down.
- Divide the onion mixture between the two slices and then top with cheese and the remaining bread slice, butter facing up.
- Grill your sandwiches for 2-4 minutes per side or until the outside is golden and the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately.
What cheese works well for a french onion grilled cheese sandwich recipe?
I know Gruyere is more traditional, but that’s not always easy to find. Swiss cheese would work well too. I like the white cheddar, the sharp flavor seems to pair well with the beef flavoring in the onions, plus it melts nicely too!
What goes well with french onion grilled cheese?
This sandwich is great served on its own as a simple meal but it can also be paired with a lovely simple soup like celery or parsnip soup or salad as side dishes to make it feel more complete. You’ll want simple flavors to pair with this sandwich because you don’t want to overpower the onion flavor in your sandwich.
If you liked this french onion grilled cheese recipe then check out my other tasty grilled cheese sandwich recipes!
- Roasted Corn & Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Jalapeno Chicken Grilled Cheese with White BBQ Sauce
- Muffuletta Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Grilled Sirloin Steak with Roasted Tomatoes and Blue Cheese
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
French Onion Grilled Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 small Onions, Sliced into rings
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Beef Base
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 teaspoons Butter
- 1 loaf Rustic Bread, Small, or 4 slices of your favorite thick bread
- 2 slices White Cheddar Cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onions and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook onions for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently. Continue to cook onions until they begin to soften and turn golden in color.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in pepper, beef base, and water; stir.
- Cook just until liquid has absorbed and onions begin to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Butter one side of each bread.
- Place two slices of bread, buttered side down on hot grill pan.
- Divide onion mixture between both slices of bread, top with cheese and remaining slice of bread; buttered side up.
- Grill sandwiches for 2-4 minutes per side or until outside is golden and cheese has melted. Serve.
Now this is one epic grilled cheese! So my kinda sandwich!
Wow! My husband would love this! Pinning and tweeting to share. Thanks so much for sharing with us at Snickerdoodle Sunday!
Would love if you share with us at Brag About It. Tuesday Link party that starts Mondays at midnight. We’d love to see you there!
Have a great week.
It is almost lunchtime here and I know what I am going to make! YUM! Thanks for sharing on the Creative K. Kids Tasty Tuesdays Linky Party. I hope you will join us again next week.
We have french dip all the time, I should try this on a rustic bread and grill it!!
Thanks for sharing at #HomeMattersParty!!
Lisa @ Fun Money Mom says
This looks so delicious…much better than the boring grilled cheese that I usually make…LOL! Thanks so much for linking your recipe up at Share The Wealth Sunday…I’ve chosen this post as one of my top five for the week and I’ll be featuring it on my FB page as well as at the next blog hop!
Morgan @ Morgan Manages Mommyhood says
The cravings you just started – unreal. I need to make this ASAP! French onion soup is my all time favorite!
Frugal Hausfrau says
Ok, so my mouth is watering!! All those fantastic flavors in a sandwich! Yum! Thanks for linking up to us on Throwback Thursday and we’ll be pinning to our board! Be sure to visit us there and I can’t wait to see what you’ll be bringing next week.
Alli @ Tornadough Alli says
Oh my heavenly stars this looks amazing! This awesome grilled cheese will be featured at tonight’s Throwback Thursday! We want to thank you for linking up with us and hope to see you again tonight!
I have put caramelized onions on grilled cheese but this sounds wonderful, too.
I followed you here from Throwback Thursday on Tornadough Alli. 🙂