Caramelized onions and lots of gooey cheese come together to taste like the classic French onion soup!
This French Onion Grilled Cheese is a perfect lunch option for indulging in rich savory flavors.
This french onion grilled cheese sandwich is what dreams are made of. Cheesy melty gooey goodness packed with a sweetened savory onion flavor in every bite. You’re going to love this onion grilled cheese!
The salty beef broth is perfect for those sweet caramelized onions. The crusty bread is a must as it soaks up all that delicious broth. The hot and bubbly Gruyere cheese is creamy, nutty and melts right into the broth so that each bite hits you with different flavors and textures. the French onion soup flavor is just dreamy.
Inspired by Soup
That exquisite French onion soup is the inspiration behind this sandwich. I cooked down two small onions until they were soft and caramel in color. Then I added just a touch of beef base and a little water so that the onions would take on the flavor of my beloved soup. I placed these onions between two halves of crusty bread and added slices of white cheddar cheese.
Think of this recipe as a guideline. Just as you can swap out the cheese, the bread can be changed up as well. I used country-style bread that I found in the bakery section of my grocery store. Use what you have access to, as long as it’s on the firm side.
This sandwich is the hand-held version of my favorite soup! It has everything I love about French onion soup, but it’s something you can sink your teeth into!
If you liked this french onion grilled cheese recipe then check out my other tasty grilled cheese sandwich recipes!
- Roasted Corn & Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Jalapeno Chicken Grilled Cheese with White BBQ Sauce
- Muffuletta Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Grilled Sirloin Steak with Roasted Tomatoes and Blue Cheese
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- 1 teaspoon Olive Oil
- 2 small Onions, Sliced into rings
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon Beef Base
- 1/2 cup Water
- 2 teaspoons Butter
- 1 loaf Rustic Bread, Small, or 4 slices of your favorite thick bread
- 2 slices White Cheddar Cheese
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced onions and reduce heat to medium.
- Cook onions for 15-20 minutes, stirring frequently. Continue to cook onions until they begin to soften and turn golden in color.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in pepper, beef base, and water; stir.
- Cook just until liquid has absorbed and onions begin to thicken. Remove from heat.
- Heat a grill pan over medium high heat. Butter one side of each bread.
- Place two slices of bread, buttered side down on hot grill pan.
- Divide onion mixture between both slices of bread, top with cheese and remaining slice of bread; buttered side up.
- Grill sandwiches for 2-4 minutes per side or until outside is golden and cheese has melted. Serve.