This jalapeno popper grilled cheese has an ultra creamy center and a crunchy coating made with LAY’S Potato Chips; everything you love about jalapeno poppers in an easy to make sandwich!
This post has been sponsored by Frito-Lay. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
I spend so much time thinking about sandwiches around here. After writing a Sandwich Cookbook and contributing sandwich recipes to Food Fanatic, I’d say I’ve become an expert in sandwich making. It occurred to me, however, that I spend so much time thinking about what goes into a sandwich and not enough about what surrounds a sandwich. When I took a minute to think about what I love about poppers (besides all the cheese) it’s the crunchy breading.
I don’t know about you, but sometimes my favorite part of a recipe is the breading! I especially love when breading crisps up on mac and cheese or on top of stuffed peppers. It just adds an extra layer of flavor and more texture to each recipe. That crunchy breading that I adore is my inspiration for this crispy jalapeno popper grilled cheese sandwich!
Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Deconstructed
The inside of my sandwich is pretty standard. Cream cheese and pepper Jack cheese and of course, jalapeno peppers. But the outside is nothing short of brilliant! I lightly dipped my sandwich in a watered down egg wash (don’t worry you won’t taste the eggs) and then I coated my sandwich in crushed up Sour Cream and Onion LAY’S Potato Chips.
The crushed potato chips work very similar to panko bread crumbs, however, by using the sour cream and onion potato chips, my coating is already perfectly seasoned! This grilled cheese sandwich offers up so much between it’s creamy and cheesy filling, the spicy jalapeno peppers and the crispy, herbed coating. This grilled cheese is the ideal recipe for those of us who adore jalapeno poppers! It has all the flavor but with minimal effort!
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons of softened cream cheese
- 4 slices of pepper Jack cheese
- 2 jalapenos sliced vertically
- 2 cups Sour Cream and Onion flavored LAYS Potato Chips
- 1 egg
- Place potato chips in a food processor and pulse until chips have become fine crumbs; place them in a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the egg and a splash of water in a separate bowl, set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Lightly spray the pan with non-stick spray.
- Spread one tablespoon of cream cheese on one side of two slices of bread. Top cream cheese with jalapeno slices and cheese slice. Place remaining bread slices over cheese.
- Lightly dip both sides of the sandwich into egg mixture. Dip sandwich into potato chip crumbs, taking care to fully coat both sides.
- Place the sandwich onto hot grill pan. Grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden, flip and cook the second side.
Amount Per Serving Calories 1194Total Fat 76gSaturated Fat 39gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 26gCholesterol 292mgSodium 1331mgCarbohydrates 92gFiber 4gSugar 17gProtein 39g