This jalapeno popper grilled cheese has an ultra creamy center and a crunchy coating made with LAY’S Potato Chips.
These are everything you love about jalapeno poppers in an easy to make sandwich!
This jalapeno grilled cheese is a wonderful take on a deconstructed jalapeno popper but in sandwich form. From the crispy salted golden bread to the melty cheesy heat packed away inside every bite of this sandwich is beyond anything you can anticipate. Making jalapeno poppers grilled cheese is incredibly easy and only takes about 6 ingredients and a few simple steps to complete making it perfect for any lunchtime experience.
Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
The inside of my jalapeno grilled cheese sandwich is pretty standard. Cream cheese and pepper Jack cheese and of course, jalapeno peppers. But the outside is nothing short of brilliant! I lightly dipped my sandwich in a watered-down egg wash (don’t worry you won’t taste the eggs) and then I coated my sandwich in crushed-up Sour Cream and Onion LAY’S Potato Chips.
The crushed potato chips work very similar to panko bread crumbs, however, by using the sour cream and onion potato chips, my coating is already perfectly seasoned! This grilled cheese sandwich offers up so much between its creamy and cheesy filling, the spicy jalapeno peppers, and the crispy, herbed coating. This grilled cheese is the ideal recipe for those of us who adore jalapeno poppers! This jalapeno cream cheese grilled cheese has all the flavor but with minimal effort!
- Sourdough bread
- Cream cheese
- Pepper Jack cheese
- Sour Cream and Onion flavored Lays Potato Chips
How to Make Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- Place the potato chips into a food processor and pulse until the chips have become fine crumbs.
- Place the chip crumbs into a bowl and then set them aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together the egg and a splash of water. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium heat and grease it lightly with some nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread on a tablespoon of cream cheese onto one side each of two slices of bread.
- Top with cream cheese and jalapeno slices and a cheese slice.
- Place the remaining bread slices over the top.
- Lightly dip both sides of the sandwich into the egg mixture before dipping the sandwich into the potato chip crumbs to fully coat both sides.
- Place the sandwich onto the hot grill pan.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden in color.
- Flip and cook the second side until golden as well.
- Serve warm.
You can add cooked crispy bacon to the inside for a bacon jalapeno grilled cheese experience that adds another savory note of greatness to every bite.
Can I use regular potato chips?
Yes, you can use plain flavored Lays potato chips (or use a different brand with a similar chip flavor variety). The flavors will be a little different but the salty goodness the chips provide will still be there so these sandwiches will still taste incredible.
What cheese goes well with jalapenos?
Any number of cheeses could be used including a Mexican blend of shredded cheese, pepper jack, sharp cheddar, or even mozzarella if you want a stringy melty cheese experience.
Can I use roasted jalapenos or canned jalapeno slices?
Yes. I like to use fresh whole jalapenos when I can but you can easily take up the flavors a notch with roasted jalapenos. Canned (drained) jalapenos can also save a lot of time while giving a soft and spicy flavor that would pair well as well.
For more tasty grilled cheese sandwich options check out these unique ideas:
- French Onion Grilled Cheese
- Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- Muffuletta Grilled Cheese Recipe
- Monte Cristo Sandwich
- Roasted Corn & Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Jalapeno Chicken Grilled Cheese with White BBQ Sauce
- 4 slices of sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoons of softened cream cheese
- 4 slices of pepper Jack cheese
- 2 jalapenos sliced vertically
- 2 cups Sour Cream and Onion flavored LAYS Potato Chips
- 1 egg
- Place potato chips in a food processor and pulse until chips have become fine crumbs; place them in a bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the egg and a splash of water in a separate bowl, set aside.
- Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Lightly spray the pan with non-stick spray.
- Spread one tablespoon of cream cheese on one side of two slices of bread.
- Top cream cheese with jalapeno slices and cheese slice.
- Place remaining bread slices over cheese.
- Lightly dip both sides of the sandwich into egg mixture.
- Dip sandwich into potato chip crumbs, taking care to fully coat both sides.
- Place the sandwich onto hot grill pan.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes or until golden, flip and cook the second side.
Amount Per Serving Calories 1194Total Fat 76gSaturated Fat 39gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 26gCholesterol 292mgSodium 1331mgCarbohydrates 92gFiber 4gSugar 17gProtein 39g