Double chocolate chip cookies are triple as sweet with the addition of maraschino cherries!
You’re going to love these Double Chocolate Chip Cookies with Cherries!
Double chocolate cherry cookies are perfect for maraschino cherry lovers! White chocolate chips and semi-sweet chocolate are ideal partners for those candied cherries. With these cookies, you will always have the perfect treat for serving upon any occasion.
Made from scratch with simple ingredients and steps you can have a batch of cookies fresh and warm from the oven in just minutes. No dough chilling is required!
Chocolate Chip Cookies With Cherries
These maraschino cherry chocolate chip cookies are truly something special. Creamy white chocolate and rich semi-sweet chocolate melt in your mouth which each bite and while the semi-sweet chocolate holds back on the sweetness, the maraschino cherries dig in! But each component works harmoniously to bring you a truly joyful cookie experience!
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Large eggs
- Vanilla extract
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- All-purpose flour
- White chocolate chips
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Chopped Maraschino cherries
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Double Chocolate Chip Cookies with Cherries
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper and then set them aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars until fluffy.
- Mix in the vinegar until combined.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder with a whisk.
- Slowly mix in the flour ingredient to the wet ones, until fully incorporated.
- Stir in the white chocolate chips, semi-sweet chocolate chips, and chopped cherries until mixed.
- Scoop the dough into small balls about 1-2 tablespoons in size using a small cookie scoop. Place onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes or until set.
- Allow the cookies to rest on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
The added vinegar to these cookies helps them to puff up nicely as they bake by creating a chemical reaction with the leavening agents. You won’t be able to taste the tangy acidic flavor of the vinegar once baked.
If the cookie dough becomes too soft to handle, place the bowl of dough into the fridge for about 1 hour or in the freezer for 15 minutes to help stiffen it up before scooping it into balls and baking. This will help to prevent the warm dough from spreading too much as it bakes.
Make sure that you drain off as much excess liquid as you can from the cherries before using. Letting them ret on a paper towel before chopping is a good idea.
Can I freeze cherry chocolate chip cookies?
Yes, these cookies can be frozen for up to 3 months after they have been baked. Just keep them stored in an airtight container. You can also freeze them as portioned dough balls so that when you are ready to bake all you have to do is place them on a baking sheet as the oven preheats. To do this make the dough as directed and then place it onto a baking sheet in ready-to-bake-sized balls, before freezing for 2 hours until solid. Then transfer to an airtight container for up to 3 months.
How long are chocolate chip cookies with maraschino cherries good for?
These cookies can be kept in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. This should give you plenty of time to enjoy them before they become stale.
Can I use fresh cherries instead of maraschino cherries?
I have not tried this recipe with fresh cherries instead of maraschino but I imagine that it would work out well with chopped pitted cherries. The only major difference (besides appearance) would be the sweetness of the dough because maraschino cherries are candied and much sweeter than fresh.
If you loved these chocolate chip cherry cookies then you may also enjoy these other chocolate chip cookie recipes!
- Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Cake
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Brown Sugar Cookies
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies with Cherries
A soft, chewy cookie that has both white chocolate chips and-and semi-sweet chocolate in each bite! The sweet maraschino cherries are a bonus!
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 1/4 cup flour
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped Maraschino cherries
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line your baking sheet with the Reynolds Cookie Baking Sheets and set aside.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together butter and sugars. Mix until fluffy. Mix in vinegar. Add eggs one at a time, followed by vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Slowly beat dry ingredients into wet ingredients until mixture is fully incorporated.
- Stir in both chips and chopped cherries.
- Carefully scoop dough using a small cookie scoop and place onto prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until cookies have set. Allow cookies to stand on baking sheets for 2 minutes before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Amount Per Serving Calories 121Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 19mgSodium 72mgCarbohydrates 16gFiber 0gSugar 11gProtein 1g
Dear Tanya, these cookies look wonderful…the pop of red is so pretty and I can only imagine how delicious they are. Chocolate and maraschinos are perfect match! xoxo, Catherine
Look yummy! I’m a cherry addict from way back! I found those baking sheets before Christmas…yay no roll up! Also, after I baked with them I folded the used side in and used them to keep the stickier (softer) cookies separate while I stored them!
These are so cute for Valentine’s Day!
Running to the Kitchen says
These cooking look awesome! I love using parchment sheets because it makes baking so much easier!
These are some gorgeous looking cookies!!
Kacey @ The Cookie Writer says
This really takes me back to my childhood because that is the only time I remember eating maraschino cherries! We would put them on top of our sundaes 🙂 Love the use of them in cookies, and since my daughter is at that age where she discovered maraschino cherries, she would love these.
Julie @ Willow Bird Baking says
What a great idea! These sound so good. And I love those parchment baking sheets!
Deb @ Cooking on the Front Burner says
Well, I think these cookies look so good and I need those baking sheets!
Michelle | A Dish of Daily Life says
These look delicious, and they’d be perfect for Valentine’s Day too! Love the idea of using maraschino cherries! I want to try those baking sheets too!
Nutmeg Nanny says
I love chocolate chip cookies but probably even more so when you throw in cherries. Yum!
Chcolate and cherries are a match made in heaven so I can only imagine how incredibly yum these are! I’ve gotta try them!
Carrie @Frugal Foodie Mama says
I just LOVE the chocolate & cherry combo! 🙂 Can’t wait to give these cookies a go soon.
These cookies look delicious! I love the chocolate and the cherry combo…sounds amazing!
Chocolate and cherry is one of my favorite flavor combinations, so I know I would love these! And I couldn’t live without my parchment paper – use it pretty much every day!
Such a good idea! I love the combination of cherry and chocolate!
I love chocolate and cherry together, and these cookies will be perfect for Valentine’s Day!
A double dose of chocolate AND cherries makes for one irresistible cookie! And I love using parchment for easy cleanup!
Pinned and tweeted! Love seeing your recipes! Thank you for sharing with us at Snickerdoodle Sunday!
These look amazing! My daughter is in a cookie making kick. I’m printing this off for her to try! Thanks for sharing. I’m stopping by from Snickerdoodle Sundays!
Those baking sheets are genius! As are your tasty cookies! Love maraschino cherries, would have never thought to put them cookies. Yum!
Erin @ Stay At Home Yogi says
I love finding new cookie recipes and this is a flavor I have never tried before!
My grandfather used to bring me my very jar of cherries when he’d come to visit me as a child. I became a little less enamored as an adult UNTIL I discovered Tillen Farms all-natural maraschino cherries. Now I’m an addict again. These cookies sound absolutely amazing and I’m definitely going to make them soon.
I followed you here from the Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop. 🙂
Erin @ The Speckled Palate says
I absolutely ADORE the sound of these Double Chocolate Chip Cookies with Cherries! I was never a big maraschino cherry fan as a kid or as an adult, but I bet they add such a lovely sweetness and cherry flavor to these cookies, and I cannot wait to try ’em. Especially since I’ve got some cherries in my fridge just waiting to be used!
Found you on the Weekend Recipe Link Up Party over at Gator Mommy Reviews and wanted to say hello! Keep up the good work, and happy Sunday!
Fun size wife says
Oh, Tanya, you slay me! Chocolate and cherry is the best combination ever!