Quinoa, green veggies and grilled chicken make this Buddha Bowl a lean, green flavor machine!
Lately, it seems that every time one of my kids asks what’s for dinner I just say “chicken” as if that tells them everything they need to know. We all know the truth is there are thousands of differents ways to serve up chicken. I could be making Jamaican Jerk Chicken, Alice Springs Chicken Pasta, Buffalo Chicken Soup or Chicken Cobbler. Those just scratch the surface on all the ways to feed my family chicken.
I often think grilled chicken is by far the easiest. You can marinate the chicken, place it on the hot grill and step away. In an effort to feed my family extra vegetables and grains, I decided to grill chicken and serve it Buddha Bowl fashion. Buddha bowls come in a variety of colors and flavors. They are nutrient dense and often served meatless. My family loves chicken; it is light, easy to flavor and makes for an easy meal. I did make a very simple marinade with Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, lemon juice, and garlic. The Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil is perfect for marinades as it is light bodied and well rounded. Plus I know that Pompeian Oil is non-GMO and bottled under quality assurances.
I left the chicken to marinade for an hour, but you could leave it longer. I then grilled the chicken and sliced it to serve it over quinoa and lots of veggies like arugula, Brussels sprouts, avocados, sweet red apples, and pepitas (or pumpkin seeds). I also made a homemade variation of green goddess dressing that added tanginess and creaminess to the bowl. It livened up all the greens and helped everything meld together
Lean, Green Buddha Bowl
Grilled chicken and veggies make this a fulfilling and delicious Buddha Bowl
- 2 lbs chicken breast
- ¼ cup Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 cup chopped red apple, such as Honeycrisp
- ¼ cup pepitas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 ½ cups arugula
- ½ cup of mayo
- ¾ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
- ¼ cup Pompeian White Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 clove of minced garlic
In a zip top bag combine chicken breasts, olive oil, lemon juice, and garlic. Allow chicken to marinate for 1 hour.
Preheat an outdoor grill to medium heat. Add chicken breasts to hot grill. Cook chicken for 5-6 minutes per side.
Place an iron skillet on your outdoor grill. Fill the skillet with oil add Brussels sprouts. The sprouts should take about for minutes per side. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. When slightly soft and charred remove skillet from the grill.
In a bowl, whisk together the mayo, yogurt, mustard, and vinegar. Stir in salt, fresh basil, and garlic.
Divide quinoa between 4 bowls. Divide the avocado, arugula, cooked Brussels sprouts, pepitas and apples between each bowl. Dollop each green goddess dressing.
- Pompeian knows that for today’s home cooks, mealtime is not just about fueling up, it’s about experimenting with the latest food trends to create shareable, Instagram-worthy dishes.
- Thanks to Pompeian’s ongoing commitment to quality and innovation, home cooks can depend on Pompeian’s high quality olive oils and vinegars as a great-tasting base while exploring new flavors and ingredients.
- For tips on how to trend in the kitchen, including recipes, visit Instagram.com/Pompeian. To share your latest on-trend creations using Pompeian, tag your photos with #TrendingintheKitchen
I’m proud to have partnered with Pompeian to bring you this original recipe.