Smokey chipotle peppers and sweet honey come together in this cranberry sauce!
It’s quick, easy, and bursting with flavor!
This honey chipotle bbq sauce recipe is perfect for your turkey burgers. It pairs together with the turkey just like gravy pairs well with mashed potatoes, the two were made for each other. Which is just another reason you see cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving every year. You can serve this chipotle cranberry sauce up for the holidays as a side dish or top your burgers with it here like I did. However you serve it, it’s sure to be a huge hit!
Turkey Burger Sauce Recipe
I used fresh cranberries for this recipe but frozen ones work just as well. then I added in some smokey chipotle peppers in adobo sauce for a nice kick of heat. I also mixed in some honey, orange juice, and cumin as well and it helped to make the sauce a perfect blend of fresh and light while giving a subtle kick of heat. The best part is that it only took about 15 minutes to make from start to finish making this a quick sauce for your sandwich or a quick holiday side dish. I chose to place my sauce atop a juicy turkey burger garnished with lettuce and onions.
- Fresh spinach
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Kaiser rolls
- Garlic cloves
- Frozen turkey burgers
For the cranberry sauce
- Fresh or frozen cranberries
- Brown sugar
- Orange juice
- Chipotles in adobo sauce
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Honey Chipotle Cranberry Sauce Turkey Burgers
- Combine the cranberries, sugar, water, orange juice, honey, and chipotle pepper in a small saucepan. cook the mixture over medium heat on the stove.
- Allow your cranberries to come to a boil. the cranberries will begin to pop.
- Stir in the cumin and salt.
- Reduce the heat and allow the mixture to cook down and thicken. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool.
- Meanwhile, cook your burgers according to the package directions.
- Top your burgers with cheese and cook for an additional minute or until the cheese has melted. Remove from their pan.
- In a small bowl combine the mayo and garlic.
- Place a teaspoon of the mayo onto each half of the burger buns.
- Top the bottom bun with your burgers, onions, and spinach. Then place a generous amount of cranberry sauce on top of each burger.
Any brand of turkey burger will work just fine. I chose to use the Kirkland brand from Costco but you can even use homemade turkey burgers if desired.
You will have a lot of cranberry sauce leftover after serving it on these burgers so keep it stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week. While the cranberry sauce would liven up any turkey sandwich, you can also serve it up with some creamy Brie and crackers as a tasty appetizer.
How long does cranberry sauce take to set?
It should take about 8 to 10 minutes of cooking to thicken and set but it won’t be fully thickened and set until the mixture has cooled completely. Make sure that your mixture has thickened before removing it from the heat or else it will not thicken much when it cools.
Can I freeze cranberry sauce?
Yes, you can freeze this sauce in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months. Simply thaw again before using. If desired you can even warm it up in a bowl in the microwave or in a pot over low heat on the stove until warm.
How long does homemade cranberry sauce last?
The homemade sauce will last for up to 2 weeks if kept properly stored in an airtight container in the fridge. For longer storage, you can freeze it. I recommend freezing in small batches as it will reduce the time needed to thaw.
For more delicious and unique burger recipes, check out these tasty suggestions:
- Aloha Turkey Burger
- Portobello Mushroom Burgers
- Herb & Lemon Aioli with Spinach and Kale Turkey Burgers
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Burger Recipe
- Grilled German Goetta Burger
- Lamb Burgers Recipe
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 8 slices onion
- 4 slices Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 Kaiser rolls
- 2 tablespoon mayo
- 1 clove garlic, minced.
- 4 frozen turkey burgers (I used Kirkland brand from Costco)
For the cranberry sauce
- 1 12 oz bag of fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped chipotles in adobo sauce
- In a small saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar, water, orange juice, honey and chipotle pepper. Cook mixture over medium heat. Allow cranberries to come to a boil. Cranberries will begin to pop; stir in cumin and salt. Reduce heat and let mixture cook down and thicken, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Meanwhile, cook burgers according to package directions. Top burgers with cheese and cook an additional minute or until cheese has melted. Remove.
- Combine mayo and garlic in a small bowl. Place a teaspoon of mayo on each half of each bun. Top bottom buns with burgers, onions and spinach. Place a generous amount of cranberry sauce on each burger. Serve. (You will have lots of leftover cranberry sauce)
Amount Per Serving Calories 1026Total Fat 51gSaturated Fat 17gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 29gCholesterol 151mgSodium 1231mgCarbohydrates 101gFiber 7gSugar 57gProtein 44g