This easy breakfast strata recipe is a rich and hearty way to start the day!
I am honored to have partnered with Pompeiian as a #PantryInsider. This original recipe and my opinions are all my own.
I hadn’t given Black Friday much of a thought until I got a preview of Target’s sales circular. I saw one phenomenal deal and now I’m totally obsessed. Now I must have these Beats by Dr. Dre headphones at the price listed on the circular or else! I didn’t give a second thought to those headphones as gift potential a week ago, but now I’m willing to take down anyone who gets in my way.
I’m not ready to hit the stores on Thanksgiving Day. I take that back, I would love to go shopping on Thanksgiving Day, but my family would probably disown me. I’ll just have to shop online Thursday and then hit the stores on Friday like everyone else. Keywords: everyone else. I hate crowds. I mean I love baseball game kind of crowds, but standing in long cash register lines is not my kinda crowd.
There is only one way to combat the fatigue that a day filled with determined shoppers can bring; eating a solid breakfast! I’m going to power up with this easy breakfast strata recipe! It has lots of rich protein between the eggs and the sausage, calcium rich cheese and flavorful peppers. Pretty much everything you need to power through your morning.
Can’t wait until Black Friday, I have a date with Target and Dr. Dre.
- 2 lbs bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced sweet peppers
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb Italian bread sliced and cubed
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese
- In a large skillet, cook pork sausage over medium heat. Cook until crumbled and braind. Transfer sausage to a bowl, drain any grease and return skillet to pan. Add onions to drippings in pan. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender. Stir in mushrooms, peppers and oregano. Cook just until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pork.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 pan. Spread half of the bread cubes in your pan. Spoon half of the meat mixture over bread. Top with 1 cup of shredded cheese, repeat layers.
- In a bowl, stir together milk and eggs. Pour egg mixture over layers.
- Bake strata in a 325 degree oven, covered with foil for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 30-45 minutes or until an instant read thermometer inserted in the center reads 170 degrees. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 506Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 185mgSodium 1047mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 28g
*Notes about the recipe*
This strata recipe uses pork sausage. You could change that out and use whatever suits your tastes.
I added peppers and mushrooms along with fontina cheese, but you can easily substitute your favorites as long as you use the method in this recipe.
I used an Italian loaf. You want a softer bread for this recipe, but I would use your typical sandwich bread.
I used Pompeiian’s new Olive Extra Original Spray (available in stores soon). I found the olive oil paired nicely with the Italian theme to this strata recipe. The oil came out silky smooth and coated my dish perfectly. Plus I loved how light and tasty the olive oil spray was, it would be great for sautéing vegetables or even used to flavor salads. This strata makes quite a bit, it’s great for feeding a crowd (like hungry holiday guests) but it would also make a fantastic addition to your brunch menu or with a salad for dinner.