This easy breakfast strata recipe is a rich and hearty way to start the day!
It has lots of rich protein between the eggs and the sausage, calcium rich cheese, and flavorful peppers.
Pretty much everything you need to power through your morning.
You’re going to love this simple state rec ipe. Packed with great flavor and taste in every bite this breakfast is as filling as it is delicious. We love simple breakfast recipes around here and this one is no different. Made with sausage, bread, cheese, and veggies, every bite is comforting and warm. This one dish makes plenty of servings for the whole family to enjoy making it perfect for any weekend meal or even a nice holiday brunch when you want to do something special and different from the usual bowl of cereal routine.
What is a Strata?
A strata is a simple breakfast casserole often seen in American cuisine. It’s like a savory version of bread pudding because the base is as simple as eggs, milk, and bread. From there we venture over into the savory category by adding in cooked sausage or other breakfast meats as well as vegetables like mushrooms or bell peppers. And then to top it off there’s usually some cheese as well because every good casserole needs some cheese.
- Pork sausage
- Sweet peppers
- Dried oregano
- Italian bread
- Shredded fontina cheese
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Easy Breakfast Strata Recipe
- Cook your pork sausage in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook until crumbled and browned.
- Transfer the sausage to a bowl and drain off any excess grease. Return some of the grease drippings to the pan and place the pan back onto the stovetop.
- Add your onions to the skillet. Cook for about 7-9 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in the mushrooms, peppers, and oregano. cook until the vegetables are tender. This should take about 5 minutes. remove the pan from the heat and then stir in the pork.
- Lightly grease the inside of a 9×13 baking dish.
- Spread half of the bread cubes into the pan.
- Spoon half of the meat mixture over the bread.
- Top with 1 cup of shredded cheese and repeat the layers.
- In a bowl, stir together the milk and the eggs until well blended.
- Pour the egg mixture over the top of the layers of bread cheese and meat.
- Bake in the oven at 325 degrees F for 30 minutes with foil on top and then remove the foil and cook for an additional 30-45 minutes or until an instant-read thermometer can be inserted into the center of the pan and read 170 degrees F.
- Allow the dish to rest for 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
This strata recipe uses pork sausage. You could change that out and use whatever suits your tastes.
I added peppers and mushrooms along with fontina cheese, but you can easily substitute your favorites as long as you use the method in this recipe.
I used an Italian loaf. You want a softer bread for this recipe, but I would use your typical sandwich bread.
How long is breakfast strata good for?
You can keep your leftovers stored in an airtight container for up to 3 or 4 days. For longer storage, you can place the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 months. This is also perfect for when you want to make this as a future meal too. Not that you should only freeze cooked starts, do not freeze it if it hasn’t been baked.
Does strata have to sit overnight?
If desired you can cover your baking dish of casserole and place it into the fridge for up to 8 hours. Allow to rest on the counter for up to an hour as the oven preheats and then bake as directed. If you’re in a hurry and do not wish to let the mixture chill, you do not have to. You can cook it immediately after assembly.
How do you reheat strata?
If reheating larger portions, bake your leftovers at 375 degrees F for about 30 minutes or until browned and heated through. For smaller portions, you may only need a few minutes in the microwave or a reduced time in the oven.
If you liked this recipe then you may also enjoy these other breakfast recipes:
- 2 lbs bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onions
- 1 cup diced sweet peppers
- 1 lb sliced mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb Italian bread sliced and cubed
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded fontina cheese
- In a large skillet, cook pork sausage over medium heat. Cook until crumbled and braind.
- Transfer sausage to a bowl, drain any grease and return grease to pan.
- Add onions to drippings in pan. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender. Stir in mushrooms, peppers and oregano. Cook just until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in pork.
- Lightly grease a 9x13 pan.
- Spread half of the bread cubes in your pan.
- Spoon half of the meat mixture over bread.
- Top with 1 cup of shredded cheese, repeat layers.
- In a bowl, stir together milk and eggs. Pour egg mixture over layers.
- Bake strata in a 325 degree oven, covered with foil for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake an additional 30-45 minutes or until an instant read thermometer inserted in the center reads 170 degrees.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 506Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 12gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 185mgSodium 1047mgCarbohydrates 27gFiber 2gSugar 4gProtein 28g