Thick and juicy portobello mushrooms are grilled until soft then covered in cheese and a homemade chimichurri sauce.
Any meat lover is sure to love this burger recipe as it is as hearty and satisfying as any other burger recipe out there!
Every once in a while I decide that my family needs to eat more meatless meals. This really has less to do with any social stances or even with the meat itself, it has more to do with the fact that I need to get more veggies into my kids!
Every time I serve up a vegetarian meal like this Honey Garlic Vegetarian Stir Fry, this vegetarian tikka masala, or the vegetarian bolognese, the family goes nuts! So now that grilling season is here, I’m swapping beef for portobello mushrooms!
What Is A Portobello Mushroom Burger?
If you aren’t familiar with a portobello mushroom, they are large, sizeable mushrooms that have a thick and meaty mushroom cap. The cap itself has so much flavor; it is rich and earthy and makes a tremendous substitute for any protein.
These mushroom caps can be grilled just like any other burger and eaten with a bun and traditional burger toppings.
How To Cook A Portobello Mushroom Burger
The mushrooms themselves do not require much. Lightly coat both sides of the mushroom caps with olive oil and salt and pepper. Preheat an outdoor grill to medium-high heat when the grill is ready, place the mushrooms on the hot grates and grill the mushrooms for 2-4 minutes on each side.
The mushrooms do not take long to cook, they will become quite soft in minutes!
If you to cook your portobello mushroom on the stove, place a grill pan or skillet over medium-high heat and cook the mushroom just like you would on the outdoor grill.
How To Cook A Portobello Mushroom Burger In The Oven
The oven is my least favorite cooking method for mushrooms. You just don’t get that smokey flavor, and it takes longer. However, it is just as easy.
Season your mushroom caps as mentioned above. Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet. Roast mushrooms in a 425-degree oven (caps side down) for 18-20 minutes or until tender.
What Goes With A Portobello Mushroom Burger?
The short answer is anything you would put on a traditional burger!
I topped this “burger” with pepper jack cheese and a chimichurri guacamole sauce!
Chimichurri is a green sauce comprised of parsley, cilantro, garlic, vinegar, olive oil, and oregano. It is Argentinian by origin and it tastes amazing with beef, like in this Beef Shish Kebab recipe.
Because I love chimichurri and I love guacamole, I combined the two! Full disclosure, the guacamole in this recipe is simply mashed avocado.
Portobello Burger Toppings:
- Roasted Red Peppers + White Cheddar Cheese
- Caramelized Onions + Gruyere Cheese
- Cucumbers + Feta + Onions +Tzatziki
- Black Beans + Corn,+ Queso Blanco + Green Chilies + Guacamole
- Tomato + Spinach + Red Onion + Goat Cheese Aioli
Grilled portobello mushroom burgers aren’t just for vegetarians. They are lean, flavorful and can be partnered with almost any topping. Give these burgers a try at your next cookout!
- 4 Large portobello mushroom caps
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 Roma tomato, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon lime juice
- Pinch of salt
- 4 slices Pepper jack cheese
- 4 hamburger buns
- In a bowl, combine parsley, cilantro, garlic, vinegar, oil and salt and pepper to taste. Stir until combine and let refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat grill. Gently scrub mushroom caps. Drizzle olive oil over each side of mushroom. When grill is ready, grill mushrooms for 3-4 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, mash avocado. Stir in diced tomatoes, cumin, lime juice and salt.
- In the last minute of cooking, cover mushrooms with Pepper Jack cheese and grill until cheese has melted.
- Right before serving, combine chimichurri sauce and guacamole, stirring until completely blended. Generously top each burger with guacamole mixture. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 burger
Amount Per Serving Calories 490Total Fat 36gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 25gCholesterol 25mgSodium 517mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 5gSugar 5gProtein 14g