A thick and meaty Goetta burger is grilled over hot coals until
tender and juicy! This recipe has flavor piled high! This recipe makes tailgating, game day, or any day of the week taste amazing!
When it comes to food, Cincinnati is known for two things, chili (we love our chili dogs) and Goetta! We love our Goetta so much, we have a weekend-long festival to celebrate it!
What I Goetta Made Out Of?
Goetta is made from ground meat such as pork and beef. The ground meat is blended with oats and spices to bulk up the mixture both in terms of texture and flavor.
This is a German-inspired dish that was created to stretch out the meat over several servings. It was economical, accessible, but also delicious!
Goetta is most often fried in oil or butter then served for breakfast. But it works beautifully in sandwiches and burgers too!
Speaking of Burgers…How To Make Goetta Burgers
Goetta is a hometown favorite, but so are the Cincinnati Reds! Baseball and good food go hand in hand just like burgers and a hot grill!
When you are making burgers, nothing beats the smokey taste of a charcoal grill. Kingsford Charcoal has partnered with Major League Baseball to introduce a new cookbook; Taste of The Game.
Taste of the Game is filled with 30 recipes that you can prepare while enjoying a ballgame with friends and family. Each recipe is accompanied by a mouth-watering photo and clear and concise directions.
To start these Goetta burgers, combine ground beef and ground pork in a bowl. Finely diced onions, quick-cooking oats, and a lightly beaten egg are mixed in.
The spice mixture is a blend of garlic powder, dried sage, thyme, allspice, cayenne pepper, and salt are added next. I find the best kitchen tools for this work is your hands; don’t be afraid to get in there and mix it all up!
Form your beef mixture into 4 patties and prepare your grill.
Arrange your Kingsford Charcoal and build your fire for direct grilling. The grill should reach 400 degrees.
Place the burgers on the grill and cook them for 8-10 minutes, turning once.
Once the burgers have reached the desired degree of doneness, remove them and allow them to rest for 3 minutes.
Butter and toast rye bread slices, adding a slice of Swiss cheese to 4 of the slices. When the cheese has melted, assemble your burgers!
Place a burger on a slice of bread, top with sauerkraut. Add Dijon mustard to remaining bread slices and top your burgers!
What To Serve With Goetta Burgers
- 1/2 lb ground lean pork
- 1/2 lb ground beef
- 1/4 cup onion, finely diced
- 3/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons melted butter, for bread
- 8 slices rye or pumpernickel marble bread
- 4 slices Swiss or Gruyere cheese
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
- In a large bowl, combine pork, beef, onion, oats, egg, Worcestershire sauce, and dried herbs and spices. Season with 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and use your hands to gently combine and incorporate all ingredients.
- Form the mixture into 4 burger patties.
- Meanwhile, prepare a grill using Kingsford® Charcoal, build a fire for direct grilling and preheat to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the burgers on the grill and cook them until browned and cooked through, flipping once halfway through 8-10 minutes total. For your safety, please reference the USDA safe cooking temperatures. Remove patties from the grill, allow to rest for 3 minutes.
- Brush the bread slices with butter and toast them on the grill, a minute or two on each side. Add a slice of cheese for the last minute and let it melt slightly.
- Spread Dijon onto half the toasted bread.
- Place the burgers on the mustard top with sauerkraut and the other slice of toasted bread. Serve immediately.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 770Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 19gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 17gCholesterol 201mgSodium 2050mgCarbohydrates 48gFiber 7gSugar 5gProtein 53g