This saucy Jambalaya pasta recipe will be a family favorite! Fresh veggies, shrimp, sausage, and spices make this meal unforgettable!
Jambalaya Pasta Is A Family Favorite
I think of my daughter every time I make this recipe; as it is her favorite! This recipe uses andouille sausage (a must for Cajun flavor), shrimp, spices, fresh bell peppers. It is quick, easy and has loads of flavor!
It easy enough for my daughters (10 and 16) to make all on their own. If you can boil pasta, you can make this meal!
What Is Jambalaya Pasta?
Jambalaya pasta takes all the flavorings from the favorite Cajun dish and tosses them with sausage, shrimp, veggies, and pasta!
Traditionally, Jambalaya is made with chicken, shrimp, sausage, rice, diced tomatoes, a blend of Cajun seasoning, and broth. The original dish is a little saucier compared to this pasta counterpart, but the sauce is more tomato-based. Whereas the pasta has a velvety smooth creamy sauce instead!
How To Make Jambalaya Pasta
Start by cooking your sliced sausage until browned. I used an andouille sausage. I think it has authentic flavors but it also has a little spice. Smoked sausage can be used in its place.
Add the shrimp and peppers to the same skillet. Season shrimp with cumin, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, and salt. Stir. Cook mixture until shrimp is no longer pink and vegetables begin to soften. Remove mixture and set aside.
Because I love one-pot meals, I cooked my pasta right in my sauce mixture. This saves time, dishes and completely enriches the flavor of the pasta!
When pasta is al dente, stir in the sausage, shrimp, and vegetables. Add grated Parmesan cheese just before serving!
Jambalaya Pasta Tips
- To keep in line with the original Jambalaya dish, add chicken to the meat mixture.
- Use a variety of peppers to add more color and flavor to your pasta.
- Heavy cream can be used in place of the whole milk.
- Freshly diced tomatoes can be used in place of the canned.
Can You Freeze Jambalaya Pasta?
Allow your pasta to cool completely and place pasta in a freezer-safe container. Freeze pasta for 1-2 months.
Re reheat, allow the pasta to thaw in the fridge and place it in a large saucepan. Add a little chicken broth to the saucepan to a little steam and to help the sauce thicken once again.
What To Serve With Jambalaya Pasta
More Cajun Favorites:
Connect with Lemons for Lulu!
Be sure to follow me on my social media, so you never miss a post!
Be sure to follow me on Instagram and tag #lemonsforlulu! I would love to see your talents!
I have a group dedicated to food and you! Check out my group page on join in on the fun! This is where you can ask questions, share recipes, connect with others and see more of Lemons for Lulu. If you’d like to check it out, you can request to join HERE.
- 1 lb andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 lb shrimp, peeled, deveined, tails removed
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 yellow pepper, diced
- 1/2 orange pepper, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 32 oz container chicken broth
- 1 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 lb bucatini pasta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Spray a large, deep skillet with non-stick spray and place over medium heat. Add the sliced sausage and cook until browned, remove and set aside.
- Add the shrimp and peppers to the same skillet. Season shrimp with cumin, garlic powder, paprika, oregano, thyme, cayenne pepper, and salt. Stir. Cook mixture until shrimp is no longer pink and vegetables begin to soften.
- Remove mixture and set aside.
- Place the broth, tomatoes, and milk in the same skillet. Bring broth mixture to a boil, add pasta.
- Reduce heat, stir pasta and cover (leave the lid slightly ajar to allow for steam). Continue to cook pasta 20-25 minutes until al dente and until the sauce has thickened; stirring often.
- When pasta is ready, add sausage, shrimp, and vegetables.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese just before serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 6
Amount Per ServingCalories 581 Total Fat 28g Saturated Fat 10g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 14g Cholesterol 220mg Sodium 2430mg Carbohydrates 43g Net Carbohydrates 0g Fiber 3g Sugar 7g Sugar Alcohols 0g Protein 38g