Spicy sausage tempered by creamy and cool blue cheese coleslaw
I’ve been compensated for this post. Thank you Produce for Kids for allowing me to create this original recipe.
I love a good bbq, but sometime it’s more about the sides than what’s cooking up on the grill. Often I can skip the burgers and pile my plate with watermelon, black bean salad, buttery corn, potato salad and macaroni salad. Yep it isn’t a proper bbq unless butter and watermelon juice are dripping down my forearm.
The one thing I am quick to pass over is the coleslaw. Limp shredded lettuce drenched in mayo isn’t really my thing. It tastes so bland to me. So I made an easy blue cheese coleslaw just for me. This recipe combines red cabbage, angel hair slaw, Greek yogurt, a bit of mayo, cilantro and of course blue cheese. Blue cheese is one of my favorites! It’s creamy, piquant and compliments the spice from smoky andouille sausage perfectly! Blue cheese coleslaw and andouille sausage are a happy bbq pair!
- 5 andouille sausage links
- 5 hot dog buns
For the slaw
- 1 cup red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded angel hair slaw
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup blue cheese crumbled
- In a bowl, combine cabbage, slaw and cilantro in a bowl. Stir in yogurt, mayo, garlic, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, pepper and blue cheese. Mix until completely combined. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Grill sausage for 4-6 minutes until cooked through. Top with slaw and serve.
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 550 Total Fat 35g Saturated Fat 9g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 24g Cholesterol 43mg Sodium 1100mg Carbohydrates 41g Fiber 3g Sugar 9g Protein 16g