This quick and easy coleslaw recipe is packed with crisp cabbage and lettuce are lightly tossed with bacon, Lays Potato Chips, and a simple dressing!
It’s unlike any coleslaw you’ve ever had before.
This easy coleslaw recipe I’m sharing with you today has lots of both; personality and flavor! I know most coleslaws have shredded carrots, but this one is all green. I used both cabbage and iceberg lettuce in this recipe. Cabbage naturally has some bite to it while the iceberg tastes mild and fresh. Naturally, I added bacon to this coleslaw recipe because everything is better with bacon.
The dressing for this slaw is super simple. It is somewhat of a combination of mayo-based slaw dressings and its vinegar counterparts. White vinegar and mayo are both present as is dried ranch seasoning mix.
Easy Coleslaw Recipe
The special ingredient in this unique coleslaw is LAYS Potato Chips. The idea loosely comes from this Ramen Broccoli Salad; I absolutely loved the crunch from the ramen noodles and thought potato chips would deliver the crunch I was looking for along with that distinguished Lays Potato Chip flavor. Since the quantity of the dressing is light, the chips don’t get soggy. Each bite gives you unexpected flavor between the ranch seasoning, the bacon, and the crunchy potato chips!
There is a method to assembling this coleslaw, however. I arranged half of the slaw on a serving platter, layered a generous handful of Lays Potato Chips, followed by another layer of slaw and potato chips. I drizzled my dressing over top and tossed it all lightly with salad tongs.
This potato chip coleslaw is so simple and can be transported anywhere people love good food! With this easy recipe, I’m ready for all the BBQs and potlucks I can find!
- Iceberg Lettuce
- Bacon slices
- White vinegar
- Granulated sugar
- Ranch Seasoning
- Lays Potato Chips
How to Make Quick and Easy Coleslaw Recipe
- Toss together the cabbage, lettuce, and bacon in a bowl.
- Use a glass measuring cup to combine the vinegar, mayo, sugar, and ranch seasoning and whisk together until smooth.
- Arrange half of the cabbage onto a serving plate.
- Top with half of the potato chips and repeat the layers.
- Drizzle your dressing over the top of the slaw and gently toss it together with tongs.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Why is my homemade coleslaw watery?
The salt in the salad dressing will eventually break down the walls and structure of the cabbage and cause it to release moisture which is why coleslaw becomes wetter the longer it ages. this is also another reason why I suggest that we eat this cabbage slaw as soon as possible after making it is so that we get a great combination of crisp textures.
What makes something a slaw?
The term slaw is given when sliced or chopped raw vegetables are added (especially carrots or cabbage). Then they’re mixed with a dressing that is usually vinegar or mayo-based. Other ingredients can be added as well but these can vary pretty greatly.
How long does homemade coleslaw last in the refrigerator?
your homemade coleslaw can last up to 3 or 5 days in the fridge but because of the crisp potato chips, I recommend serving it sooner rather than later as those chips will never be as crispy as they are right now so Bon Appetit!
Here are some more great cabbage packed recipes to try soon:
- Andouille Sausage with Blue Cheese Coleslaw
- Cabbage Roll Soup
- Shrimp Po Boy Recipe with Cilantro Pesto Slaw
- Easy Cabbage and Sausage Recipe
- Red Cabbage
- 1/2 head cabbage
- 1/2 head iceberg lettuce
- 3 slices cooked bacon
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon ranch seasoning
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup LAYS Potato Chips (or to taste)
- In a bowl, toss together the cabbage, lettuce and bacon.
- In a measuring cup or a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mayo, sugar and ranch seasoning.
- Arrange half of the cabbage mixture on a serving plate. Top with half of the potato chips; repeat layers.
- Drizzle dressing over the slaw; gently toss with tongs.
Amount Per Serving Calories 150Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 7gCholesterol 8mgSodium 235mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 3gSugar 6gProtein 4g