Brightly colored red cabbage is cooked in white wine for a tangy, slightly sweet side dish that works with almost anything you serve!
I created this post as part of a sponsored series with Socialstars and SPLENDA
My mom loves to talk about how her grandmother lived to be almost 100 years old. She was in amazing shape and health, and apparently, cabbage played a big role in her good health and longevity. My Greek great grandmother supposedly ate a bowl of cabbage every single day. My mom swears that cabbage kept her going. I think it could be the fact that she lived a simple life tucked away in the mountains of northern Greece, but who am I to argue?
My great grandmother and her long life span is precisely why my mom serves cabbage often. With the holidays quickly approaching, I thought it was appropriate to share my mom’s red cabbage recipe. This red cabbage makes an appearance at all our holiday meals.
I cooked the red cabbage in a little olive oil only until it began to soften. You could use bacon fat or butter if you prefer, but the taste will definitely be different. The cabbage needs a little acidity; I used white wine, but lots of recipes call for apple cider vinegar instead. You need a little sweetness to offset the tang. A little sugar is usually cooked in along with the wine, but I added SPLENDA® Naturals Stevia Sweetener in my cabbage in place of sugar.
SPLENDA® Naturals is a tasty, n0-calorie sweetener made with Stevia Extract. SPLENDA® Natural Sweeteners is challenging you to reduce the sugar in your diet for 30 days. By taking this challenge, you will learn how to find the added sugar around you and learn how to avoid it. You will get recipes, tips and chances to win prizes! Be sure share your experience by using the hashtag #GoodbyeSugar30 while you participate in this challenge. When you have gone through the challenge, ask yourself if you miss any of the sugar.
How do I take the challenge?
1. Sign up and let your friends and family know about the challenge.
2. Get to know the different sugar terms on ingredients labels.
3. Identify obvious sources of added sugar in your refrigerator, pantry or on your next trip to the supermarket.
4. Watch for places where you have total control over removing added sugar from your foods and drinks.
5. Take a moment to ask yourself if you miss any of the added sugar you are cutting out.
Ready? Sign up now to take the challenge!
Sides to Love
Sweet and savory red cabbage is gorgeous to look at and delicious to eat!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 whole head of red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 packets SPENDA® Natural Stevia Sweetener
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- Heat oil in a large skillet set over medium heat.. Add cabbage. Heat cabbage for 5 minutes or just until it begins to soften. Stir in wine, sweetener, and salt. Continue to cook down cabbage for another 10 minutes or until completely soft.
- Sprinkle cabbage with caraway seeds just before serving.
Amount Per Serving Calories 77Total Fat 2gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 0mgSodium 391mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 4gSugar 5gProtein 2g
For more info on how the SPLENDA® Brand does naturals, visit splendanaturals.com.
Leave a Reply