This slow cooker shredded chicken is a perfect recipe for meal planning and it’s one that we can all truly enjoy. Made with our favorite Asian-inspired seasoning this chicken is perfect for sandwiches, tacos, salads, and more.
This crock pot shredded chicken recipe is truly simple and easy to prepare which is just one of the many reasons why we can’t stop raving about it!
It’s so tasty and simple and it’s always a huge hit. We use a combination of chicken breasts and chicken thighs to get the right amount of juicy and flavorful meat in every bite and that truly makes a big difference.
Slow Cooker Asian Chicken
Whether you make this slow cooked Asian chicken for dinner tonight or you leave it plain for future meals and leave out the Asian sauce, there’s no denying that it tastes incredible either way.
The earthy flavors from the thyme, celery, and bay leafs working together with the chicken stock create a rich and flavorful broth for the chicken to cook in, and even without the homemade Asian seasoning this chicken is so good you’ll want to eat it straight from the bowl!
Ingredients you’ll need for Shredded Slow Cooker Chicken:
- Chicken breasts
- Chicken thighs
- Celery sticks
- Fresh thyme
- Bay leaves
- Mixed peppercorns
- Chicken stock
For the Asian seasoning, you will need:
- Hoisin sauce
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Chili flakes
- Garlic powder
- Spring onion
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Shredded Slow Cooker Chicken
Place the chicken breasts and thighs inside of the slow cooker.
Add in the herbs and seasonings.
Cover with chicken stock or water and let cook.
Cook for 6-7 hours on low or 3-4 hours on high.
Allow the chicken to cool before shredding with 2 forks.
Alternately, you can take all of the meat and process it in a food processor to achieve shredded consistency.
Prepare the sauce by finely chopping the spring onion and setting it aside.
In a small bowl, combine the Hoisin sauce, honey, garlic powder, sesame seeds, spring onion, and chili flakes. Mix to combine.
Place the shredded chicken into a bowl and mix together with the Asian sauce until well coated.
Use as desired.
If desired, you can use regular black peppercorns in this recipe instead of mixed peppercorns
If you do not have chicken stock or chicken broth on hand then you can just use water instead. You will need 4 cups of water to equal one 32 ounce container of stock.
My version of shredded chicken is made using a combination of both chicken breast and chicken thighs, this is because I prefer to have the best of both worlds, the flavor and juiciness of thighs will amp up the meatiness of the chicken breasts, however, feel free to make it only with chicken breasts of thighs.
This Asian-inspired seasoning is optional but a very nice touch to the shredded chicken. I like to make half of it unseasoned so I can create whatever flavor I’m feeling like and half with this seasoning.
If your honey is crystallized due to being cold, give it a 15 second round in the microwave so the consistency gets runnier.
The shredded chicken whether you season it with the Asian sauce or you keep it plain. Both plain and Asian are very nice in salads. The plain one can be seasoned as you please.
How long is shredded Asian chicken good for?
You can keep this shredded chicken stored in an airtight container for up to 3 days in the fridge. This should give you multiple opportunities to use it up in simple lunches and dinner recipes. Perfect for easy meal planning throughout the week!
Can I freeze shredded chicken?
Yes! This chicken can be frozen for up to 3 months in an airtight container. I recommend portioning it out into whatever portion you want to use for your future meals so that it’s easier to grab and go. I usually prefer to freeze the shredded chicken in 1 cup measurements because just one or two of the containers would be enough for lunch or dinner. Just allow the chicken to thaw in the fridge or on the counter before warming and using as desired.
What goes with shredded Asian chicken?
This recipe would be perfect for pairing with some simple cooked white rice, on a salad or in a wrap. you can even use it as the meat in Asian BBQ Pork Taco Boats or Fusion Grilled Steak Tacos for a wonderful taco experience.
For more slow cooker recipes, check out these delicious recipes:
- Beef Stew Recipe
- How To Make Pork and Sauerkraut (Slow Cooker)
- Mulled Wine Recipe With Slow Cooker and Stove-Top Directions
- Easy Crockpot Mac and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Vegetable Beef Soup
- Easy Crock Pot Cube Steak
- 2 chicken breasts
- 2 chicken thighs
- 2 celery sticks
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon mixed peppercorns or regular black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 33 fl oz /1-liter chicken stock or water
For the Asian seasoning:
- ½ cup Hoisin sauce (also known as Asian bbq sauce)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 spring onion for garnish
- Place the chicken breasts and thighs inside the slow cooker.
- Add the herbs and seasonings
- Cover with the chicken stock or water
- Let cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3-4 hours
- Let cool and shred using two forks. Alternatively, you can take out all of the meat and process it in a food processor to achieve shredded consistency.
- Sweet and savory Asian seasoning:
- Finely chop the spring onions and set them aside.
- In a small bowl combine the Hoisin sauce, honey, garlic powder, sesame seeds, spring onion, and chili flakes and mix until well combined. If your honey is crystallized due to being cold, give it a 15 second round in the microwave so the consistency gets funnier.
- Place the shredded chicken in a bowl and combine it with the Asian seasoning.