These easy mallow cups feature chocolate cups filled with an easy, homemade peppermint marshmallow cream!
I was a candy fiend when I was a kid. We rarely had candy at home, so I had to resort to walking to the nearest convenience store for my candy. Me and my little gang of friends would gather all the pocket change we could find and walk a quarter-mile to indulge our sweet tooth.
I would spend every last cent on Now And Laters, Jolly Ranchers, Dum Dums, Sugar Daddies, French Chews and Mallow Cups. I pretty much tried to buy all the candy that was especially bad for my teeth. I would fill my pockets at the store then I would shove every last piece of candy in mouth on the way home. I had to, because if my mom knew how much candy I was actually eating she’d never let me go again.
It Starts With Marshmallow Cream
These little cups pay homage to those Mallow Cups I grew up with, but these have a little holiday flare. Just like marshmallows, homemade marshmallow cream is incredible easy. It’s really just a matter of beating egg whites and corn syrup along with a little salt until you get a creamy, sticky consistency. In fact, each step in this recipe is very easy. It all just takes some time.
How To Make Peppermint Marshmallow Cream Cups
I used Ghirardelli chocolate wafers for the cups. I think these particular wafers melt to the most perfect, silky, smooth consistency. Spread your chocolate up the sides of each cup with a spoon. This is the important step: let the chocolate set! I suggest placing your pans in the freezer while you make your marshmallow cream. I added crushed peppermint candies to my cream. Candy canes or simply extract would be fine. Then using a very small cookie scoop, add your marshmallow cream to each cup. Freeze everything again. Melt your remaining chocolate and top each marshmallow filled cup. Try your best to seal in the marshmallow. If not, you may have a little marshmallow cream seep out when you serve these candies. Be sure to freeze the pans once more after adding the top layer. Store candies in the refrigerator.
There’s something to be said for walking to get your candy. When it’s this easy to make, what’s to stop me from making it all the time? Accessibility is not a good thing for a no self-control, self-proclaimed candy fiend like me!
Beyond Mallow Cups
Peppermint Marshmallow Cream Cups
Sweet homemade peppermint marshmallow cream hidden inside a rich chocolate cup!
- 2 lbs chocolate chips or melting wafers (I used Ghirardelli)- divided
- 3 egg whites
- 2 cups corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup crushed peppermint candies (+ 2 tablespoons)
- Line two mini muffin pans with wrappers and set aside.
- Melt 1 lb of chocolate in a microwave safe bowl for 1 minute, stir. Continue to heat in the microwave in 30 second intervals until melted and smooth.
- Place a teaspoon of chocolate in each cup, use the back of a spoon to spread up the sides of each cup. When all the cups have been filled, place them in the freezer to set.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine egg whites, corn syrup and salt. Beat on high speed for 10 minutes or until thick. Add powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time on a low speed until blended. Beat in peppermint extract. Carefully stir in 1/4 cup of crushed candies.
- Remove chocolate from freezer. Using a small cookie scoop, fill each cup with marshmallow cream. Place cups back in freezer for 10 minutes to set.
- Heat remaining 1 lb chocolate. Remove cups from freezer and place chocolate over the tops of each cups spreading and filling completely to cover marshmallows. Sprinkle each cup with remaining peppermint candies
- Freeze until set. Keep cups refrigerated.