This mocha mudslide hot chocolate is the richest, creamiest cocoa you’ve ever tasted!
I know tradition is to leave milk out for Santa, but I think he’d probably appreciate something a little warmer, don’t you agree? I mean riding all over the world in a sleigh has to be downright cold. Sure he has a beard, hat and puffy red suit, but he is moving around at a much higher altitude. What the man needs is some hot chocolate! Red Velvet Chocolate Steamers or Pumpkin Spice Hot Chocolate will both give him the warm fuzzies, but THIS mug-full of liquid chocolate will warm him (and you) from the inside out!
This mocha mudslide hot chocolate is essentially the winter version of this frozen cocktail. This mudslide hot chocolate starts with unsweetened cocoa, a bit of sugar, heavy cream, and strong coffee. Bring this mixture up to a simmer and stir in some chopped chocolate. I used Ghirardelli baking chocolate squares, but chocolate chips would work too. Whisk the chocolate until it is fully incorporated then stir in some fun! The fun is the “mudslide” part of this cocoa, which is a little Kahlua liqueur and Bailey’s Irish Cream. You could leave out the alcohol or add peppermint extract instead. This hot chocolate would be fabulous with or without spirits. After you pour this luscious hot cocoa into your mugs, top each cup with a scoop of chocolate ice cream. Then bring the mug to your mouth, close your eyes, take a sip and….cue the smile. This mudslide hot cocoa is absolutely heavenly. I think, if you serve the big guy this mudslide hot chocolate with his cookies on Christmas Eve, you might find yourself with a few extra gifts under the tree. Just saying.
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup strong coffee
- 1 oz chopped semi sweet chocolate
- 4 tablespoons Kahlua
- 4 tablespoons Baileys Irish cream
- 2 scoops chocolate ice cream
- In a medium saucepan, combine cocoa powder and sugar. Whisk in heavy cream, half and half and coffee. Continue to whisk over medium heat until sugar and cocoa have dissolved. Stir in chopped chocolate, Reduce heat and gently whisk mixture until the hot cholate has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in Kahlua and Baileys.
- Divide mixture between two mugs. Add a scoop of chocolate ice cream to each mug; serve.
Nutrition InformationYield 2 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 1116 Total Fat 68g Saturated Fat 43g Trans Fat 2g Unsaturated Fat 21g Cholesterol 199mg Sodium 164mg Carbohydrates 90g Fiber 4g Sugar 80g Protein 12g