This mocha mudslide hot chocolate is the richest, creamiest cocoa you’ve ever tasted!
Made with just a few simple steps and ingredients you’re going to want to serve this drink all winter long.
If you’re looking for another fun way to serve up a warm cup of hot chocolate then look no further. This mug is full of liquid smiles and is sure to warm you up from the inside out. this Mudslide hot chocolate is a winterized warm version of a Boozy Kahlua Frozen Mudslide but of course, we keep the scoop of chocolate ice cream on top because what mudslide would be complete without a little ice cream? Not only that but it adds a wonderful contrast to the heat and melts to make the cocoa much more creamy and rich.
Baileys Mocha Mudslide
This mudslide hot chocolate starts with unsweetened cocoa, a bit of sugar, heavy cream, and strong coffee. Bring this mixture up to a simmer and stir in some chopped chocolate. I used Ghirardelli baking chocolate squares, but chocolate chips would work too. Whisk the chocolate until it is fully incorporated then stir in some Baileys and Kahula! After you pour this luscious hot cocoa into your mugs, top each cup with a scoop of chocolate ice cream. Then bring the mug to your mouth, close your eyes, take a sip and enjoy. This mudslide hot cocoa is absolutely heavenly.
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Granulated sugar
- Heavy cream
- Half and half
- Strong coffee
- Semi-sweet chocolate
- Baileys Irish cream
- chocolate ice cream
How to Make Mocha Mudslide Hot Chocolate
- Combine the cocoa powder and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan.
- Whisk in the heavy cream, half and half, and coffee.
- Continue whisking over medium heat until the sugar and cocoa have dissolved.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate.
- Reduce the heat and gently whisk the mixture until the hot chocolate has thickened.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the Kahula and Baileys.
- Divide the mixture between two drinking mugs.
- Add a scoop of chocolate ice cream to each mug.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
The fun is the “mudslide” part of this cocoa, which is a little Kahlua liqueur and Bailey’s Irish Cream. You could leave out the alcohol or add peppermint extract instead. This hot chocolate would be fabulous with or without spirits.
Does Baileys curdle in hot chocolate?
While Baileys can curdle in some recipes there is not enough acidity or heat to cause it to do so in this drink so you don’t have two worry about a chunky drink. This cocoa is smooth and perfect!
Is Kahlua similar to Baileys?
Kahlua is a coffee-flavored liqueur and Baileys is a whiskey and cream liqueur so while the two aren’t the same they can complement each other quite well. Together they make a coffee and cream combination that is truly perfect for this boozy drink.
How much caffeine is in Kahlúa?
Unfortunately, this coffee liqueur contains far less caffeine than you may have hoped. when compared to an 8-ounce cup of brewed coffee Kahula only has about 5 mg of caffeine whereas the coffee would have about 200 mg of caffeine. This means while you may enjoy the coffee taste you won’t actually get a caffeine kick to go with the buzz.
Here are some more great Kahlua and Baileys recipes that you’re going to love!
- Pan Seared Ribeye with Kahlua Sauce
- Baileys Salted Caramel Fudgy Brownies
- Cherry Kahlúa BBQ Sauce with Chicken Drumettes
- Baileys Mocha Milkshake
- How To Make Iced Coffee Pudding Pops: Kahlúa Café Con Leche
- Chocolate Baileys Brownies
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/4 cup strong coffee
- 1 oz chopped semi sweet chocolate
- 4 tablespoons Kahlua
- 4 tablespoons Baileys Irish cream
- 2 scoops chocolate ice cream
- In a medium saucepan, combine cocoa powder and sugar. Whisk in heavy cream, half and half and coffee. Continue to whisk over medium heat until sugar and cocoa have dissolved. Stir in chopped chocolate, Reduce heat and gently whisk mixture until the hot cholate has thickened. Remove from heat and stir in Kahlua and Baileys.
- Divide mixture between two mugs. Add a scoop of chocolate ice cream to each mug; serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 1116Total Fat 68gSaturated Fat 43gTrans Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 21gCholesterol 199mgSodium 164mgCarbohydrates 90gFiber 4gSugar 80gProtein 12g