Filo cups are filled with creamy whipped goat cheese and pistachios.
A drizzle of honey adds the right amount of sweetness!
What Is Whipped Goat Cheese?
Whipped goat cheese is a log of softened goat cheese that is whipped with a mixer until creamy and smooth. Most often, whipped goat cheese will have some other sort of creamy element like mascarpone or cream cheeses. This recipe uses cream cheese as it is tangy, creamy and readily available.
How To Make Whipped Goat Cheese Cups?
I used boxed filo shells. You could certainly make your own, but I was after a quick yet impressive appetizer with this recipe. Making my own filo cups would take too much time for me. Also, homemade filo cups might be a little larger than the ones I used so your filling may need to be doubled.
As mentioned above, I beat goat cheese with cream cheese (make sure both are room temperature) until very creamy. I added a splash of lemon and seasoned with salt to taste. I piped the goat cheese mixture into my lightly baked filo cups. This can easily be done with a zipop bag; no fancy equipment needed for the piping. I topped each cup with salted pistachios and a generous drizzle of honey.
A Few Notes About Whipped Goat Cheese Cups
If you find that while you beat your cream cheese, it isn’t as smooth enough, go ahead and add a splash of heavy cream. This should change the consistency of your filling.
Don’t like pistachios? No problem! Walnuts or pecans make an excellent substitute. I used salted nuts to add more flavor to balance the filling. If you use salted nuts, be sure to TASTE your filling before you add salt. You may decide that the salt from the nuts is enough sodium.
You really only need a drizzle of honey for these cups. Keep in mind that the honey will soften the filo. If these will not be consumed right away, I would wait until just before serving to add my honey.
- 1 box filo cups
- 4 oz goat cheese softened
- 4 oz cream cheese softened
- Splash lemon juice
- salt to taste
- Prepare filo shells according to package directions. Cool the shells completely.
- In a stand mixer, beat together the goat cheese and cream cheese until smooth (add a little heavy cream if mixture isn't creamy enough). Add a splash of lemon juice and season with salt to taste.
- Place the filling in a ziptop bag, snip the corner and pipe the filling into each cup.
- Top each cup with the desired amount of nuts and drizzle with the desired amount of honey just before serving.