German chocolate meets Krispy bars in these easy scotcharoos!
With these German Chocolate Scotcharoos, you’re going to love this simple twist on a classic treat.
This recipe for scotcheroos may not be traditional but it is delicious. This recipe is so easy that even the kids can help with making them. The puffed rice cereal gets mixed into the corn syrup, a little sugar, and chocolate frosting to create chocolate scotcheroos that are ready for the caramel coconut and pecan frosting on top. Every bite will remind you of a German chocolate cake.
What is German Chocolate?
German chocolate is a type of chocolate made to be a little sweeter than semi-sweet chocolate. It contains a mixture of ingredients that cause it to turn out quite rich and tasty in various chocolate-baked goods such as a German chocolate cake. Since its creation, it’s a fabulous type of chocolate you can even find in baking bars in your grocery store’s baking aisle.
In this recipe for scotcheroo bars, we use german chocolate cake and a can of chocolate frosting to give us a sweet rice cereal mixture. Then we make a simple coconut frosting on top so that the looks and tastes mimics a german chocolate cake.
- Corn syrup
- Granulated sugar
- Brown sugar
- Canned rich chocolate frosting
- Puffed rice cereal
- German chocolate cake mix
- Canned caramel frosting
- Chopped pecans
How to Make German Chocolate Scotcheroos
- Coat the inside of a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and then set it aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine your corn syrup, sugar, and brown sugar.
- Heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture comes to a low boil.
- Remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the chocolate frosting.
- Stir in the puffed rice cereal and dry cake mix until fully combined. If needed, stir in more cereal, 1/2 cup at a time, to thicken the mixture if it is too runny.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared pan and allow the bars to set completely.
- Pour out the caramel frosting into a microwave-safe bowl and heat for 10-15 seconds or until soft.
- Stir in the coconut and pecans.
- Spread the frosting over the bars.
- Allow the frosting to set before slicing and serving.
How long are scotcheroos good for?
Your scotcheroos can be stored in an airtight container for up to 1 week at room temperature.
Why are my Scotcheroos so hard?
Can you freeze scotcheroos?
For more yummy bar recipes check out these sweet suggestions:
- Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Blueberry Oatmeal Bars
- S’Mores Rice Krispies Recipe
- Sweet Tea Lemon Bars
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars
- Peanut Butter & Salted Caramel Granola Bar Recipe
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup rich chocolate frosting
- 6-7 cups puffed rice cereal
- 3/4 cup German chocolate cake mix
- 1 16 oz can caramel frosting
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Coat a 9 x 13 inch pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine corn syrup, sugar and brown sugar.
- Heat on medium until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a low boil. Remove from heat.
- Stir in the chocolate frosting.
- Stir in puffed rice cereal and dry cake mix until fully combined. (Stir in more cereal a half cup at a time if you find the mixture to be to runny.).
- Pour mixture into the prepared pan and allow bars to set completely.
- Pour out caramel frosting into a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 10-15 seconds or until soft.
- Stir in coconut and pecans.
- Spread frosting over bars.
- Allow frosting to set before cutting into bars.
Amount Per Serving Calories 319Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 4mgSodium 123mgCarbohydrates 65gFiber 1gSugar 40gProtein 3g