German chocolate meets krispy bars in these easy scotcharoos!
This winter has been so unusual. We’ve only had two snow days. And I am convinced those two days were given out of sympathy because we really didn’t need them, the weather wasn’t that bad. I think the superintendent just needed a day off and the kids couldn’t have been happier!
I find there are both good and bad aspects to each snow day. The bad is this; all the snow that gets tracked into the house, the kids taking 30 minutes to put on their snow gear just to come back in and take it all off (and then the extra laundry the snow gear creates), the mugs of half-consumed hot cocoa, and the constant munching out of boredom.
What I love about snow days is how much joy my kids get out of playing in the snow, I love the snowmen, the forts, I love the sledding, the snowball fights and the snow cones. I love that each snow day ends with the kids baking with me in the kitchen; the extra time together is priceless.
The last time we had a snow day the kids and I came up with this simple take on German chocolate cake. We used ordinary ingredients we already had on hand, like coconut, pecans, puffed rice cereal, along with a few Pillsbury frostings and cake mix (I’m so glad I stocked up on Pillsbury mixes and frostings from Wal-Mart).
This recipe is very easy and with my supervision, the kids were able to make these German Chocolate Scotcharoos on their own. Puffed rice cereal gets mixed with corn syrup, a little sugar and chocolate frosting. Once these rich tasting bars are set they are covered in an incredibly simple caramel frosting!
Most of the time I am all over homemade goodies like cookies or cupcakes, but some days you need recipes that use pantry staples. These German chocolate scotcheroos are the perfect way to bake a moment with the family; they were the best way to finish out our snow day!
The kids and I loved making this recipe so much, we got inspired to come up with some fun Easter ideas from Pillsbury. Be sure to stay tuned!
Discover Mores Ways to Mix Up A Moment with Pillsbury!
Click here for ways to save on Pillsbury Baking Products.
German Chocolate Scotcharoos
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup rich chocolate frosting
- 6-7 cups puffed rice cereal
- 3/4 cup German chocolate cake mix
- 1 16 oz can caramel frosting
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Coat a 9 x 13 inch pan with non-stick spray and set aside. In a large saucepan, combine corn syrup, sugar and brown sugar. Heat on medium until sugar dissolves and mixture comes to a low boil. Remove from heat. Stir in the chocolate frosting. Stir in puffed rice cereal and dry cake mix until fully combined. (Stir in more cereal a half cup at a time if you find the mixture to be to runny.). Pour mixture into the prepared pan and allow bars to set completely.
- Pour out caramel frosting into a microwave safe bowl. Heat for 10-15 seconds or until soft. Stir in coconut and pecans. Spread frosting over bars. Allow frosting to st before cutting into bars.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of The J.M. Smucker Company. The opinions and text are all mine.