The school year is officially on its way. No more lounging in our pajamas until 10 am., no more late night movies, no more pool. Instead, we will immediately find ourselves with all hell breaking loose between school, homework and after school activities. We will be running a kid to gymnastics 3 nights a week, one kid to baseball and soccer 4 nights a week and one kid along for the ride.
Since I insist that we eat dinner together as a family as often as possible, I have to heavily rely on snacks. Fresh fruit, yogurt, nuts all come in to play a big role in satisfying our hunger. I also love making homemade granola bars! They are easy to prepare and can be made in so many different ways! This granola bars recipes uses peanut butter, flax seeds, chia seeds, oats, and puff cereal along with Blue Diamond Salted Caramel Almonds, but you can alter this to suit your tastes or our pantry! I’ve enjoyed Nutella granola bars and plain granola bars made with nut and maple syrup. It’s all entirely up to you!
Notes about the recipe:
- I found salted caramel flavored chips in the bakery aisle of my grocery store; however they may not be available on most places. You substitute peanut butter chips, white chocolate chips, or even caramel bits if you like.
- Place all your dry ingredients in a large bowl with the EXCEPTION of your chocolate (or flavored) chips. Add those into the mix, only after your warm honey mixture has been incorporated.
- Be sure to line your pan with foil and spray your foil with nonstick spray so that the granola bars are easily removed.
- 2 cups puffed rice cereal
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup chopped Blue Diamond Salted Caramel Almonds
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup white chocolate, peanut butter, butterscotch chips or caramel bits
- In a large bowl combine cereal, oats, chia seeds, flax seed and almonds. Set aside.
- Line a 9-x13 pan with foil and spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a saucepan combine honey and sugar, stirring until dissolved. Add in peanut butter and let mixture come to just a boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in extract. Pour hot mixture over cereal mixture and stir until it is all combined. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before adding chips. Pour mixture onto prepared pan and let stand until cool. Cut into bars.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1
Amount Per ServingCalories 360 Total Fat 18g Saturated Fat 5g Trans Fat 0g Unsaturated Fat 10g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 150mg Carbohydrates 46g Fiber 5g Sugar 29g Protein 8g
I’m pleased to have partnered with Blue Diamond Almonds to bring you this original post.