Easy homemade sausage stuffing is the perfect side dish for your Thanksgiving dinner!
The other day my daughter announced out of the blue that she doesn’t like Thanksgiving because she doesn’t like pie. The apple did not fall far from the tree there! The way that she and I differ is that the one thing I do love about Thanksgiving is the stuffing!!! Every year I stuff myself with stuffing! Love it! Especially if it’s loaded with extras!
I’ve always had an affinity for my mom’s stuffing. I think it was because she always loaded it up with ground sausage. Something about how the breading soaks up the juices from the salty meat always made it absolutely mouth-watering! Which is why I would load up my plate to where it was filled with mostly stuffing. Sure turkey is great and all, but I would happily forego it in favor of more stuffing! I would take second and third helpings too if it weren’t sort of rude to take more than my fair share. I do believe my family (who also are stuffing enthusiasts) would be rather cross with me if I left only a few crumbs. So while everyone is eating their Thanksgiving day meal, I mostly pick at the turkey and the potatoes and move them around my plate so it looks like I ate them. Then when I see everyone has had second helpings, I go in for the kill and scoop up any remaining stuffing! What can I say, I’m a calculating opportunist!
This Thanksgiving, as with most, my job is to bring dessert. So when I found several stuffing recipes in the November issue of Cooking Light, I knew I’d have to make my own for dinner before Thanksgiving! I toasted up my own bread crumbs and added mushrooms, artichokes, and of course, ground Italian sausage! It tasted remarkably similar to my mom’s! My stuffing cravings have been satisfied. Now I won’t have to fight any family members for the last spoonful this year!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE TO MY EMAIL TODAY!
- 6-8 slices sourdough bread, cubed and toasted
- 2 cup unsalted chicken broth
- 2 eggs
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 8 oz mushrooms
- 14 oz can artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 teaspoon Sage
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray an 11 x 7 baking dish with non stick spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet brown sausage breaking it up as it cooks. Remove. Saute mushrooms, artichokes and sage in the same skillet for about 6-8 minutes or until vegetables have softened.
- Combine bread cubes, eggs, chicken stock, sausage and vegetables in a large bowl. Stir to coat. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Bake stuffing for 45 minutes or until set and breading has browned.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 283Total Fat 12gSaturated Fat 4gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 53mgSodium 656mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 3gSugar 4gProtein 15g