Crockpot mashed are so creamy and delicious! These cheesy potatoes are an amazing side dish that everyone will love! The best part is how easy this recipe is to make! It just doesn’t get any easier than this!
When it comes to Thanksgiving, I think it is all about the sides. Sure we ooh and ah over the turkey because we are expected to do that. But really, much turkey can you really eat anyway? The magic in the meal comes from the symphony of side dishes.
Mashed potatoes are just as essential to the Thanksgiving meal as the bird itself! Since EVERYONE loves mashed potatoes, making a big batch in the crockpot is the way to go! Plus slow cooking makes things easy and frees you up to work on everything else!
How To Make Crockpot Mashed Potatoes
STEP ONE – Peel and cube about 4 lbs of potatoes. Place the potatoes in the bowl of a slow cooker. Add 1 cup of butter (2 sticks) and salt, cover and cook the potatoes for 3 ½ hours or until fork tender.
STEP TWO – After the potatoes have finished cooking, mash the potatoes with a potato masher or with a handheld mixer.
STEP THREE – Add warmed half and half and milk to the potatoes, mixing until combined. Stir in cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Cover to keep on the warm setting until ready to serve.
What Kind Of Potatoes Do I Use For These Mashed Potatoes?
Honestly, you can use any sort of potato for this recipe! I personally like russet potatoes but Yukon Gold or even new or red potatoes will work. If you want a rustic look, you can leave the peel on some of the potatoes, but I prefer the clean, smooth look for this recipe.
Crockpot Mashed Potatoes Recipe Tips
- I recommend that you cut each potato into same-sized cubes. This will ensure that all the potatoes cook at the same rate.
- Watch your potatoes, I list a 3 ½ hour time, but times can vary slightly depending on how full your cooker is and how accurate your cooker is. The potatoes are ready when they are fork-tender,
- I cooked these on the lowest setting, if you are in a hurry, try cooking the potatoes on high for 1 hour, then reduce the temperature.
- These mashed potatoes are NOT on the light side. You can use less butter if you prefer. Or, to reduce the fat content, use chicken broth for part of the milk mixture. You can also reduce the liquid and use low fat plain Greek yogurt or Neufchatel cheese.
- I did use a chive and onion cream cheese for this recipe.
- These potatoes have very little seasoning. Feel free to add fresh chives, onion powder garlic, and more salt and pepper.
This slow cooker mashed potato recipe is great for a crowd and is the perfect make-ahead recipe, With minimal effort, you will have the best, creamiest, tasty mashed potatoes that everyone will love!
- 4 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ cup milk warmed
- ⅓ cup chive and onion cream cheese
- Peel and cube about 4 lbs of potatoes. Place the potatoes in the bowl of a slow cooker. Add 1 cup of butter (2 sticks) and salt, cover, and cook the potatoes for 3 ½ hours or until fork tender.
- After the potatoes have finished cooking, mash the potatoes with a potato masher or with a handheld mixer.
- Heat half and half and milk in a saucepan until bubbles begin to form around the edges.
- Add the milk mixture to the potatoes, mixing until combined. Stir in cream cheese until smooth and creamy.
- Cover to keep on the warm setting until ready to serve.
Amount Per Serving Calories 516Total Fat 32gSaturated Fat 20gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 89mgSodium 1050mgCarbohydrates 51gFiber 5gSugar 3gProtein 8g