This pistachio cake is tender and soft, it practically melts in your mouth! A little coconut elevates this cake into something unique and special! This cake is a great ending to any meal!
I think the pistachios is somewhat of a controversial nut. I don’t know many people who are lukewarm on pistachios. You either love them or vehemently hate them. If you are in the “I love them” camp, then this is all for you!
I will be honest, I sort of had St. Patty’s day in mind when I was making this cake. I suppose the green tint makes this very “shamrock” friendly. However, there really isn’t anything Irish about it! The green hue works for Christmas or any random weekday too!
What Is A Pistachio Cake?
This pistachio cake is actually a white box cake (shhh, it can be our secret) that is gussied up with pistachio pudding and a little coconut.
The pudding gives the cake the flavor and the tint. Since pistachio can be a strong flavor, the shredded coconut and the coconut glaze really tame the nutty flavor.
How Do You A Pistachio Cake
Normally, I am a “from scratch” baker. But every once in awhile, convenience takes precedence. What is more convenient than a box of cake mix? Plus everyone seems to have one or two boxes in their pantry, right?
STEP ONE – Prepare the cake by combining a white cake mix, pistachio flavored pudding mix, eggs, oil, water, and shredded coconut in a bowl and mixing until fully combined.
STEP TWO – Pour cake batter into a greased and floured bundt pan and bake the cake according to the time listed on the box. The cake is ready when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
STEP THREE – Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a baking rack to cool completely.
STEP FOUR – Prepare glaze and drizzle over the cooked cake.
What Frosting Goes With Pistachio Cake?
I kept things simple by using a glaze and then going big on garnishing the cake with the flaked coconut. However, I do love frosting, and that describes you as well, then feel free to use your favorite frosting recipe! A coconut buttercream or a cream cheese frosting would both be delicious on this cake!
Tips On How To Bake This Pistachio Cake
- I chose to make this cake in a bundt pan, but you can 100% bake this cake in any sized pan your prefer! Since you are using a boxed mix, follow the chart for bake times on the box itself.
- Make sure the cake only rests in the pan for about 10 minutes before inverting onto your cooling rack. If the cake cools in the pan for too long, it can sometimes be a struggle to release it from the pan.
- If you are opposed to using a cake mix and would prefer to make this pistachio cake from scratch, then you can use this Frosted Sugar Cookie Bundt cake recipe as a guideline adding in the pudding mix to the recipe as you go.
- The coconut can be omitted from both the cake and the glaze recipe. The cake will still be lovely without it. However, the coconut flavor does add a nice softness to the strong pistachio flavor.
Can I Freeze This Pistachio Cake?
This cake will hold up to freezing quite well. Prepare the cake as directed allowing the cake to cool completely before covering in plastic wrap and aluminum foil.
The cake can be frozen for up to 2 months.
Allow the cake to thaw completely and then frost the cake as directed.
- 1 package white cake mix
- 1 3.5 oz boxes pistachio pudding
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of water
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup coconut
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 ½ teaspoon coconut extra
- ½ cup flaked coconut
- ½ chopped pistachios
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a bundt pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- Prepare the cake by combining a white cake mix, pistachio flavored pudding mix, eggs, oil, water, and shredded coconut in a bowl and mixing until fully combined.
- Pour cake batter into a greased and floured bundt pan and bake the cake according to the time listed on the box.
- The cake is ready when a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto a baking rack to cool completely.
- For the glaze, combine the powdered sugar and heavy cream in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Stir in the coconut extract. Add more sugar or cream as necessary until you get a drizzling consistency
- Pour glaze over the cake. Allow the glaze to set for a few minutes.
- Top the cake with shredded coconut and chopped pistachios.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 230Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 5gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 10gCholesterol 68mgSodium 106mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 1gSugar 16gProtein 4g