Broccoli Chicken and Cheese Soup will fill you up and keep you satisfied!
The perfect comfort food!
Last week I experienced an Extraordin-Dairy adventure sponsored by the American Dairy Association Mideast. Myself and eight other bloggers were educated on all things dairy starting at the farm and ending at the table. We spent one entire day learning the ins and outs of dairy-farming. You can read about that here.
The next day was devoted to education. The American Dairy Association spends so much of its time and energy on education both in and out of the classroom. One example of this is Fuel Up to Play 60 where children are taught that good nutrition and physical activity are vital for academic success. It has been proven that children who eat breakfast have better attention and memory. Just with 20 minutes of physical activity a day, children’s brain activity improves significantly!
As I sat and listened to dietitians describe milk as being the most nutrient dense beverage there is and how crucial dairy is to both our bodies (specifically our bones,muscles, skin, vision, and blood pressure) as well our minds, I realized that I am guilty of not consuming enough dairy. What’s worse, my kids may not be getting enough.
Which is why I came home with all sorts of ways for our family to incorporate at least 3 servings of dairy a day. And although I did not grow up drinking milk, I am determined to join the family in having a glass each night with dinner!
And then my mind started churning out recipe ideas using cheese, milk or even yogurt. One of those ideas was the Broccoli Chicken and Cheese Soup! I figured I was really getting a bang for my buck with this soup. It’s a good source of protein, calcium, vitamins and fiber. Yes, it’s pretty much a super food!
Do YOU do dairy? Be sure to visit the American Dairy Association Mideast for more information on how to get more dairy into your lives. In the meantime, grab a glass, pour some milk and raise your glass. Cheers!
MORE SOUP FOR YOU!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE TO MY EMAIL TODAY!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 pound chicken cut into bite sized chunks
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup diced onions
- ½ cup diced carrots
- 1 large head of broccoli (2-3 cups)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups shredded cheddar (I used smoked)
- Prepare chicken. In a Dutch oven heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken and cook pieces 5-6 minutes or until no longer pink. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add butter to the Dutch oven. When butter has melted stir in onions and carrots. Cook for about 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in broccoli, broth, water and salt. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes or until broccoli is soft.
- Break up broccoli into small bits by inserting an immersion blender into the soup. Or, remove about 1 cup of soup and puree in a blender, with the center part of the blender lid to allow steam to escape. Run blender with a clean towel over the lid. Return blended soup to the Dutch oven. Repeat if you prefer.
- In a measuring cup, combine half and half and flour, whisking until smooth. Stir mixture into soup. Add shredded cheese and stir until cheese has melted. Add in chicken and serve.
SEE THIS ON MY PINTEREST BOARD!
I’ll be sharing this with these parties as well as with