This classic broccoli cheddar soup is a hearty and flavorful dish that is not only healthy, but also earthy and filling. Made from fresh broccoli, carrots, onions, and sharp cheddar cheese, this broccoli cheddar soup will become an instant favorite in your home. Experience the comfort of rich flavor with every spoonful.
All about Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Classic broccoli cheddar soup is a creamy and comforting meal that can be enjoyed any season of the year. Broccoli cheddar soup has become popular in restaurants around the world due to its comforting taste and versatile ingredients. This soup is perfect for lunch or dinner. This classic recipe is easy to make and is a favorite among friends and family.
While there are many variations across recipes and regions, broccoli cheddar soup often consists of a creamy base made from melted cheese, milk or cream, and butter with broccoli added for texture, flavor, and color. There may be other ingredients, such as onions, carrots, or celery, added to enhance the flavor and add more nutritional value.
This broccoli cheddar soup recipe contains several vegetables, so it’s full of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants. And the cheddar cheese provides a good dose of protein and calcium. If you want to lower the sodium and fat in the recipe, use low-sodium chicken stock and fat-free evaporated milk.
Ingredients You’ll Need for Classic Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Shredded sharp cheddar cheese
How to Make Classic Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- Cut the broccoli into small florets and set aside.
- Dice the carrots and onion. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in the pot or Dutch oven. Add the diced carrots and onions and saute for 10 minutes on medium-low.
- Add the chicken stock and evaporated milk to the pot.
- Stir in the black pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Add the shredded cheese and mix well. Cook for 5 more minutes on low.
- Sprinkle with more cheese and serve.
Tips and Variations for Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Here are some tips to ensure the best version of this dish:
- Use fresh ingredients. Whenever possible, use the freshest broccoli, carrots, and freshly grated cheddar cheese in your soup. Avoid using pre-packaged or frozen ingredients when you can.
- Don’t overcook the vegetables. Broccoli should remain somewhat crunchy to give your soup more texture and flavor. Overcooked vegetables will make the soup watery and bland.
- Use a flavorful chicken stock as a base for your soup. A good-quality, store-bought chicken stock works well, but you can also make homemade chicken stock.
- Adjust the salt and pepper as needed to your own taste. If you are using a store-bought chicken stock, start with less salt. You may find that the broth is already quite salty.
- Serve the soup hot and fresh from the stovetop for the best results.
- Add additional proteins like turkey, chicken, or bacon bits to the soup to jazz up the recipe.
- Try adding other vegetables or ingredients, such as cooked diced potatoes or cooked noodles.
- Serve the soup with a variety of accompaniments, such as croutons, bacon bits, or chopped green onions.
- Serve broccoli cheddar soup with grilled cheese sandwiches for an extra hearty meal.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup FAQs
How do I store leftover broccoli cheddar soup?
You can store leftover broccoli cheddar soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Is this broccoli cheddar soup gluten free?
Yes, this recipe is gluten free, so it’s safe for those with Celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
How can I make this recipe vegan?
To make this recipe vegan, substitute oil for the butter, vegetable stock for the chicken stock, and your favorite plant-based milk (unsweetened almond or cashew milk) for the evaporated milk. You can use vegan cheese in place of the sharp cheddar.
How can I make this soup thicker?
To thicken the soup, stir in flour until it has reached your desired consistency. You can also blend some cooked potatoes in a food processor or blender and stir them into the soup for added thickness.
Other Soup Recipes
Chicken Tortilla Soup in the Crock Pot
Classic Italian Minestrone Soup
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Lentil Soup
Classic broccoli cheddar soup is a great way to get more vegetables into your diet in a flavorful and filling way. This healthy soup is packed with nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and fiber, and it’s easy to make. With the right ingredients and preparation tips, you can whip up this dish in no time. For variations on broccoli cheddar soup, try adding extra proteins or other vegetables or toppings.
Classic Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Classic broccoli cheddar soup, is very healthy, earthy, filling, and bursting with flavor.
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2-3 carrots
- 1 white onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 33 oz chicken stock
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Start by cutting the broccoli into small florets. Set aside.
- Dice the carrots and the onion. Set aside.
- In the pot or Dutch oven, add the two tablespoons of butter and melt it, add the diced carrots and onions and saute for 10 minutes on medium-low.
- Add the chicken stock to the pot as well as the evaporated milk.
- Add the black pepper, salt, and garlic powder. Let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli florets to the pot and let cook for additional 10 minutes.
- Add the cheese to the pan and mix well. Let cook for 5 more minutes on low.
- Serve with more cheese
This soup is perfect for lunch or dinner. Is creamy and bursting with flavor.
Leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days in a sealed container.
Leave a Reply