Do you have an abundance of garden zucchini? Zucchini fritters make a great appetizer or snack! These crips nuggets are best served warm with a dipping sauce on the side. Fritters are easy and fun to eat and make a great way to use up summer’s best vegetables!
I used to have a neighbor with a huge garden. I have a black thumb, so I never grew a thing. But she was able to grown bunches and bunches of basil, tomatoes, a variety of peppers, and some of the biggest zucchini I have ever seen.
You can make loads of zucchini bread with all that fresh zucchini, but then what do you make? How about zucchini fritters!
What Is A Zucchini Fritter?
The best way to describe the batter for these fritters is if you took the sugar out of a funnel cake and instead added shredded zucchini.
These savory balls of dough are fried until golden and served with a savory dipping sauce.
Fritters can be served as a side dish a snack or an appetizer.
What Do I Need To Make These Fritters?
- Baking powder
- Garlic powder
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Shredded Zucchini
- Vegetable oil
How Do I Make Zucchini Fritters?
STEP ONE – Fill a large stockpot an inch deep with vegetable oil. Place the pot over medium-high heat. Allow the oil to come to 365 degrees.
STEP TWO – In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, cheddar cheese, and grated zucchini.
STEP THREE – In a measuring cup, whisk together the milk and the egg. Add milk mixture to the flour mixture, stirring to combine.
STEP FOUR – Using a small cookie scoop, drop the fritter dough into the hot and oil.
Cook the fritters for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the fritters to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Continue this process with the remaining batter.
STEP FIVE – For the dipping sauce, In a bowl, whisk together the yogurt, mayo, Parmesan cheese, and seasoning.
Can Zucchini Fritters Be Frozen?
Yes, they can! Store cooled fritters in singles layers in an airtight container. They can be frozen for up to 1 month. Thaw fritters when needed and toast them up in the oven
Otherwise, store the fritters in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
- Once you shred zucchini, make sure you squeeze out as much liquid as you can, you do not want the extra moisture in your batter or your hot oil.
- I like using a large cookie scoop to add my batter to the hot oil.
- Make sure you drain your fritters on a paper towel-lined plate or a baking sheet, these fritters can absorb quite a bit of oil.
- When frying any type of food, make sure your oil comes to the correct temperature. A thermometer is a great kitchen tool to have, but you can also test your oil by dipping the handle of a wooden spoon into the hot oil. If tiny bubbles rapidly appear around the handle, your oil is ready.
- Avoid adding too many fritters to the hot oil at once. The overcrowding can cause the fritters to stick together for one thing, but also, this will lower the oil temperature and keep your fritters from cooking quickly.
More Zucchini Recipes
- 1 ½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded zucchini
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil
- For the dipping sauce:
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- ¼ mayo
- 1 teaspoon ranch seasoning mix
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fill a large stockpot an inch deep with vegetable oil. Place the pot over medium hight heat. Allow the oil to come to 365 degrees.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder, shredded cheese, and zucchini.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together the milk and the egg. Add milk mixture to the flour mixture, stirring to combine.
- Using a small cookie scoop, drop the fritter dough into the hot and oil.
- Cook the fritters for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown. Remove the fritters to a paper towel-lined baking sheet.
- Continue this process with the remaining batter.
- For the sauce, stir together the yogurt, mayo, seasoning mix, milk and Parmesan cheese. Serve with the fritters.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 75Total Fat 4gSaturated Fat 2gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 2gCholesterol 16mgSodium 167mgCarbohydrates 7gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 4g