This chicken and dumplings recipe is anything but ordinary! This recipe is filled with spices, beans, and chicken that get topped with Tex-Mex homemade dumplings!
Punxsutawney Phil is losing his edge. He “says” six more weeks of winter but apparently, Mother Nature wasn’t privy to the information because each day feels warmer than the last. We are either extremely lucky for having dodged a wintery bullet or the worst is yet to come. The warm temps have been lovely, but it’s February! I still want to hide behind my puffy sweatshirts and yoga pants. Each warm day reminds me that before long I’ll be forced to get my body ready for swimsuit season and I’m not mentally ready for swimsuit season.
Nevermind the weather I’m still all about comfort food, which is why I made this easy Tex-Mex Chicken and Dumplings recipe. This is the kind of recipe that makes you feel warm and cozy all over, just like my big puffy sweatshirt. This soup is a soup that eats like a meal. It has big, bold, flavorful spices like paprika, cumin, and cayenne pepper that livens up homely black bean, veggies and shredded chicken. The base is hearty and satisfying, but it’s the dumplings that turn this soup into something bigger and better.
Homemade dumplings are so easy to make. All you need is flour, baking powder, milk, butter and any seasoning you see fit. In this case, I seasoned these dumplings very simply with cilantro; a Tex-Mex must. The trick to adding the dumplings is to add them right after your soup comes to a slow boil. As it simmers, add dumplings one small spoonful at a time. The batter will make enough dumplings to fill your pot, but not enough to overcrowd your soup! Add Tex-Mex Hushpuppies and Tex-Mex Spinach and Artichoke Dip to complete your spiced up meal!
Tex Mex Chicken and Dumplings Recipe
This Tex-Mex chicken and dumplings recipe is a spied up, kicked up version of the classic!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/3 cup diced onions
- 1/3 cup diced poblano pepper
- 1/3 cup diced red pepper
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 14oz can black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup corn
- 2 32 oz containers chicken broth
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Heat a large stock pot over medium heat. Add olive oil, onions and peppers. Cook for about 4 minutes or until the vegetables begin to soften, add garlic and cook another minute. Add chicken to the vegetables followed by the black beans; stir. Season mixture with paprika, oregano, salt, cumin and cayenne pepper. Add corn. Stir in chicken broth. Bring mixture to a boil and reduce heat to medium low.
- For the dumplings, stir together the flour, baking powder and salt. Slowly stir in milk and butter and mix until incorporated. Add cilantro; stir. Mixture will be thick.
- Drop dumplings into soup by spoonfuls. Cover and and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until dumplings are cooked.