This Strawberry Rhubarb Pound Cake Pudding is a perfect summertime.
Strawberry Rhubarb pie filling is topped with pound cake for an easy bread pudding recipe that will blow you away!
This recipe is so, so good and it is so easy. I love using pie filling in recipes like in my Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls. This recipe starts with one of my favorite, summertime flavors of Lucky Leaf pie filling; strawberry rhubarb! I love the classic combination of sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb together. This dessert is a perfect summertime treat and it’s one that I think you’re really going to enjoy. Not just because it’s incredibly delicious but also because it’s incredibly simple and easy to make!
Most bread pudding recipes call for day-old bread. This is because you need bread that can stand up to the egg filling and soak it all up; not a soft bread that will fall apart. My recipe calls for thawed pound cake in place of traditional bread. Pound cake is hearty enough to soak up the egg mixture, plus it is sweet all on its own. Together all of these ingredients work together in harmony for a sweet and tangy bite of heaven. Serve yours up warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream of whipped cream and you’re in for a real treat!
Strawberry Rhubarb Bread Pudding
The aroma from this bread pudding alone is enough to have the neighbors come running for a spoonful! But once you actually taste the buttery pound cake, the sweet fruit filling, and the hint of citrus together, you will be convinced that this is your new favorite dessert.
Once the bread pudding comes out of the oven, drizzle your piece with the vanilla glaze. The glaze sort of melts right into the warm pound cake and tastes absolutely heavenly. Between the rich-tasting poundcake, the sweet pie filling, and the vanilla glaze, this recipe feels like you are getting three desserts all in one.
- Lucky Leaf Strawberry Rhubarb Pie filling
- Frozen (thawed) pound cake
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Lemon zest
For the glaze, you will need:
- Granulated sugar
- Heavy cream
- Vanilla extract
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Strawberry Rhubarb Pound Cake Pudding
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray the inside of an 8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread your pie filling at the bottom of the baking dish.
- Cube your pound cake and place it over the pie filling.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, salt, milk, vanilla, and lemon zest. Pour the egg mixture over the bread.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly and the bread is golden. Allow the bread pudding to set for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with vanilla glaze.
- To make the glaze, bring the butter, sugar, and heavy cream to a boil in a medium-sized saucepan.
- When the mixture begins to thicken, remove from heat and whisk in the vanilla.
- Allow to cool for a moment before adding to the bread pudding.
Can I make this recipe in advance?
Yes, you can prepare the bread pudding for the oven and then cover the top in plastic wrap and keep it stored in the fridge for a few hours. I wouldn’t go any longer than that but you may be able to push it up to a day. then place the baking dish on the counter and let it rest as the oven preheats before baking as directed.
Can I freeze leftover bread pudding?
Yes, this bread pudding after it has cooled completely can be placed into an airtight container and frozen for up to 2 months. When ready to eat it again, place it in the fridge overnight to thaw before reheating in the oven until hot and bubbly.
How long is strawberry rhubarb bread pudding good for?
This bread pudding can be kept stored in a covered container in the fridge for up to 3 or 4 days. For longer storage, freeze it as needed.
Puddings can come in many shapes and forms. Check out these pudding recipes for fun new recipe inspiration!
- Apples Foster Bread Pudding Recipe
- Peppermint Layered Pudding Dessert
- Pumpkin Chia Seed Pudding
- Pina Colada Pudding Shots
- Tiramisu Pudding Shots Recipe
- Key Lime Pudding Cake
- 1 21 oz can Lucky Leaf Strawberry Rhubarb Pie filling
- 1 10.75 oz frozen pound cake, thawed
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- The zest of one large lemon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8 inch banking with non-stick spray. Place pie filling onto the bottom of the baking dish.
- Cube the pound cake, and place pieces over the pie filling.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, salt, milk, vanilla and lemon zest. Pour egg mixture over the bread.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until bubbly and the bread is golden. Allow bread pudding to set for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla glaze.
- To prepare the glaze, bring all the ingredients except for vanilla to a boil in a medium saucepan. When mixture begins to thicken, remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Amount Per Serving Calories 492Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 176mgSodium 313mgCarbohydrates 53gFiber 1gSugar 38gProtein 8g