Strawberry Rhubarb pie filling is topped with pound cake for an easy bread pudding recipe that will blow you away!
I had a mental image of congealed or mushy bread and so I refused to even it give it a try. Then one day I sampled a friend’s bread pudding. It was served with a simple bourbon sauce and it all literally melted in my mouth. That’s when I realized that I’ve unfairly judged bread pudding.
Strawberry Rhubarb Bread Pudding
This recipe is so, so good and it is so easy. I love using pie filling in recipes like Blueberry Cinnamon Rolls or Stuffed French Toast, this recipe starts with one of my favorite, summer time flavors of Lucky Leaf pie filling; strawberry rhubarb! I love the classic combination of sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb together.
Most bread pudding recipes call for day old bread. This is because you need bread that can stand up to the egg filling and soak it all up; not a soft bread that will fall apart. My recipe calls for thawed pound cake in place of traditional bread. Pound cake is hearty enough to soak up the egg mixture, plus it sweet all on it’s own.
The aroma from this bread pudding alone, is enough to have the neighbors come running for a spoonful! But once you actually taste the buttery pound cake, the sweet fruit filling and the hint of citrus together, you will be convinced that this is your new favorite dessert.
Once the bread pudding comes out of the oven, drizzle your piece with the vanilla glaze. The glaze sort of melts right into the warm pound cake and tastes absolutely heavenly. Between the rich tasting poundcake, the sweet pie filling, and the vanilla glaze, this recipe feels like you are getting three desserts all in one You have to love that!
- 1 21 oz can Lucky Leaf Strawberry Rhubarb Pie filling
- 1 10.75 oz frozen pound cake, thawed
- 4 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- The zest of one large lemon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8 inch banking with non-stick spray. Place pie filling onto the bottom of the baking dish.
- Cube the pound cake, and place pieces over the pie filling.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, salt, milk, vanilla and lemon zest. Pour egg mixture over the bread.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until bubbly and the bread is golden. Allow bread pudding to set for 5 minutes before serving. Serve with vanilla glaze.
- To prepare the glaze, bring all the ingredients except for vanilla to a boil in a medium saucepan. When mixture begins to thicken, remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
Nutrition InformationYield 8 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 492Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 15gTrans Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 176mgSodium 313mgCarbohydrates 53gFiber 1gSugar 38gProtein 8g