This mojito inspired cake starts with a white cake mix that soaks up a rum flavored filling. A cool and minty frosting crowns the top!
Whether you like the cocktail or not, I am sure you will love this cake!
This mojito cake recipe is mind-blowingly good and easy to make which makes it the perfect boozy poke cake for summer! Filled with tropical flavors, rum, and soft moist cake in every bite this is a cake you’ll want to share with your friends. This rum poke cake starts with a soft white cake (I used a box cake, but homemade will work). The filling is sweetened condensed milk and rum (rum extract is good too) that is drizzle all over the cooled cake. Fresh lime juice and zest add a strong punch to this cake as well.
Where the cake is all about the rum, the frosting is all about the mint. Often, my poke cakes are topped with a light whipped topping. Not this cake. This poke cake gets topped with a luscious buttercream frosting that is sweet, thick and loaded with mint flavoring. So there you have it, this mojito dessert recipe gets filled with all the elements of a good mojito; rum, fresh lime, and crisp and cool mint.
What is a Poke Cake?
A poke cake is a cake that was baked and then poked with several holes. Usually, the wooden end of a spoon is used to make the holes. After that, the cake is smothered in a syrup or pudding type liquid so leave flavor and moisture behind in the cake. Then, it’s usually topped off with some whipped cream on top it’s a moist cake experience that is easy to make at home and fabulous to eat for any occasion.
SEE HOW TO MAKE THIS RECIPE
For the cake you will need:
- Boxed white cake mix
- Egg whites
- Lime juice
For the syrup, you will need:
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Rum or rum extract
- Lime zest
For the frosting, you will need:
- Powdered sugar
- Water or milk
- Mint extract
How to Make Mojito Poke Cake
- Prepare the cake mix according to the package directions using milk, water, and oil. Add in the lime juice as well.
- Pour into a greased 9×13 baking dish and bake according to package.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the condensed milk and the rum. Add in more rum if you want a stronger flavor.
- After 10 minutes, use a skewer or the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes all over the top of the cake.
- Slowly pour the milk mixture over the cake.
- Sprinkle with lime zest.
- Place into the fridge for 1 hour to allow the milk to soak into the ake.
- Prepare the frosting by beating together the butter and shortening until creamy. Slowly add in the powdered sugar, one cup at a time.
- Continue to beat until the frosting is creamy. Add in water only if the frosting gets too thick.
- Mix in the mint extract.
- Remove the cake from the fridge and cover it with buttercream frosting.
- Garnish with lime slices and mint leaves if desired.
Can you freeze poke cake?
Yes, you can freeze this cake for later if desired. I recommend freezing it in serving-sized pieces in an airtight container because then you can just grab a slice whenever you want a sweet treat.
Can you make poke cake the day before?
Yes, you can make this cake the day before it is needed and simply keep it covered in plastic wrap in the fridge. I recommend not adding any lime slices or garnishes until closer to serving though because you definitely don’t want the juices to leak and make the cake look less than perfect.
How to make holes in poke cake?
This varies from person to person but my favorite method is using the handle of a wooden spoon. alternative options include skewers or even a fork. the goal is to go straight up and down and give a good hole about every inch or so so that the cake is covered in them. Then when you add the syrup mixture it can be spread over the cake and fill in all of the holes and soak up into the cake well.
For more delicious poke cake recipes check out these fun ideas!
- Spumoni Poke Cake
- Holiday Jello Poke Cake
- Hot Chocolate Poke Cake Recipe
- Mint Julep Poke Cake
- Toffee Banana Poke Cake
- Pumpkin Roll Poke Cake
- Snickers Poke Cake
- Snickerdoodle Poke Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 3 egg whites
- 1/3 cup oil
- Juice from 2 limes
- Zest from 1 lime
- 1 12 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
- 3 teaspoons rum (or extract)
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons of water or milk
- 2-3 teaspoons mint extract
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions using the water, egg whites, oil called for on the box along with the juice from two limes.
- Remove cake from oven and allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes. In a small bowl, whisk together the condensed milk and the rum adding more rum if you want a stronger flavor.
- After 10 minutes, use a skewer or the handle of a wooden spoon to poke holes in your cake. Slowly pour the milk over the cake. Sprinkle the lime zest over the top of the cake. Refrigerate the cake for at least 1 hour to allow the milk to be absorbed by the cake.
- To prepare the frosting; beat together the butter and shortening until soft and creamy. Slowly add in powdered sugar one cup at a time. Continue to beat until the frosting is creamy; adding water if the frosting becomes too thick. Mix in mint extract.
- Remove the cake from the refrigerator and cover with the buttercream frosting. Garish with lime slices and mint if desired.
Amount Per Serving Calories 393Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 8gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 11gCholesterol 30mgSodium 126mgCarbohydrates 51gFiber 0gSugar 47gProtein 4g