These key lime sugar cookies are tangy and sweet! The soft and tender sugar cookie and the creamy frosting make a delicious bite sized key lime treat!
I’m not a huge fan of pie. A good berry pie certainly has a place in my heart, but to be frank, I tend to snub my nose at any other flavor of pie. I just do not gravitate towards cake’s flakey cousin. Pie is a second rate dessert in my humble opinion. It’s good in a pinch but only if it’s cherry or berry pie. Otherwise, a slice is not worth the calories.
The only pie that actually comes close to being in the top tier of my dessert classification is key lime pie. Boy do I love a good key lime pie. Nothing makes me smile quite like a key lime pie that is so tart your mouth puckers upon first bite. It has to be cool, creamy and smooth. And it must be made with fresh, tangy key limes. That kind of pie is worth any amount of calories!
These sugar cookies have everything I love about key lime pie. They are delicately sweet but have an abundance of key lime flavor. The sugar cookies are so soft and tender and topped with the creamiest frosting. Each bite practically melts your mouth. The citrusy green flecks of fresh key lime zest peak out from both the sweet frosting and the buttery sugar cookies for a taste reminiscent of a tartly good key lime pie!
The only real issue I see with these key lime sugar cookies is that they are so irresistably good, you cannot stop eating them! If you make them bite sized as I did, then self control just goes right out the window! Trust me, I speak from experience.
If you are a fan of key lime pie, then my friends, these sugar cookies are for YOU!
NEVER MISS A RECIPE! SUBSCRIBE TO MY EMAIL TODAY!
Don’t forget you can save each of these recipes to your personal recipe box , create your own meal plan, or add ingredients for each recipe to your shopping list! Just use the “Save Recipe” on all my recipes!
For the cookies
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sour ceam
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons key lime juice (about 4 limes)
- 2 tablespoon key lime zest (about 2 limes)
- 2 3/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
For the frosting
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons key lime juice and zest (about 8 limes)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In the bowl of a mixer, cream together butter, sour cream and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add vanilla, key lime juice and zest. In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar. Carefully add dry ingredients to batter. Beat until combined.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop out dough, about the size of a walnut and with floured hands roll into a ball. Place on cookie sheet. Flatten cookies with the bottoms of a glass that has been dipped into sugar.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Do not over bake. Let cookies rest on baking sheet for 2 minutes before removing to a cooling rack.
- For the frosting, cream together butter and shortening. Add powdered sugar one cup at a time. Blend in key lime juice and zest. If frosting is too thick add milk or water until creamy. Frost over completely cooled cookies.
Nutrition InformationYield 24 Serving Size 1
Amount Per Serving Calories 304Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 9gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 6gCholesterol 48mgSodium 222mgCarbohydrates 38gFiber 0gSugar 26gProtein 2g
SEE THIS ON MY PINTEREST BOARD!