This Grilled Apple Pie & Peanut Butter Sandwich just might make you rethink jelly!
Cinnamon-infused flavors and savory peanut butter have never come together like this before.
This is one of those unconventional sandwich recipes that you try and remember for years. It’s so gosh darn tasty. Packed with sweetness, creamy richness, spice, and a salty savory peanut butter in every bite this sandwich really has it all. If you haven’t tried a grilled peanut butter sandwich, do yourself a favor and go for it! You will love it! And don’t forget the apple pie filling!
Apple peanut butter sandwich
My favorite bread to use with this sandwich is cinnamon bread. You could use your favorite of course. I used whipped peanut butter that I mixed with whipped cream cheese (the cream cheese adds a little tang and makes the peanut butter especially creamy). So there you have it. My new favorite peanut butter sandwich.
It is so good! The sweet, cinnamon infused apple pie filling sort of melts right into the peanut butter as it is getting grilled to perfection. The apples become soft and even sweeter. It tastes as if you are eating a piece of apple pie. The heat from the bread makes the peanut butter warm and happy. Mmm, mmm.
- Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- Apple Pie Filling
- Whipped Peanut Butter
- Whipped Cream Cheese
For the exact amounts needed, please see the recipe card below.
How to Make Grilled Apple Pie & Peanut Butter Sandwich
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and butter one side of two slices of bread with about 1/2 teaspoon of butter.
- In a small bowl, combine the peanut butter and cream cheese until well mixed.
- Place two slices of bread buttered side down onto the hot skillet.
- Top with 1/2 cup of apple pie filling.
- Spread the remaining slices with the peanut butter mixture.
- Place the peanut butter side on top of the apple topped slices. Butter the tops of those pieces of bread.
- Toast the sandwich for 3-4 minutes per side until golden in color and heated through.
What goes well with an apple and peanut butter sandwich?
This fried peanut butter sandwich would be great served alongside fresh fruits like bananas, strawberries, or blueberries. It also does great with a simple side of yogurt too. this sandwich is pretty filling and a little on the sweet side so thinking of foods you’d normally serve at dessert or breakfast could help you to come up with some creative ideas.
What kind of peanut butter works best for this sandwich?
I like to use whipped peanut butter as I find that it blends in more easily with the cream cheese but any peanut butter (or nut butter alternative) would work fine. Even natural kinds of peanut butter go great with this recipe. I don’t think I’d like crunchy peanut butter in this dish though because the texture could throw off the balance of crisp and creamy.
Can I use canned fried apples instead of apple pie filling?
Yes, there’s no reason not to use fried canned apples in this recipe as they are very similar to canned apple pie, only less thick. Go ahead and try it soon and see how fast you get hooked on these tasty sandwiches!
Looking for more tasty sandwich recipes that you may enjoy:
- Fried Catfish Sandwich
- Creamy Shrimp Roll Sandwiches
- Crockpot French Dip Sandwiches
- “Fried” Bologna Sandwich Recipe
- Hot Italian Party Sandwiches
- Denver Omelet Breakfast Sandwich
- 4 slices Cinnamon Swirl Bread
- 2 teaspoons Butter
- 1 cup Apple Pie Filling
- 1/4 cup Whipped Peanut Butter
- 2 tablespoons Whipped Cream Cheese
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Butter one side of two bread slices with a 1/2 teaspoon of butter.
In a small bowl, combine peanut butter and cream cheese until combined.
Place two slices of bread, buttered side down onto hot skillet. Top with 1/2 cup apple pie filling. Spread remaining slices with peanut butter mixture. Place peanut butter side down over apple slice. Butter top side of bread slice.
Toast sandwich 3-4 minutes per side or until golden and heated through;/.